1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding a job for September 2011 - when, where and how!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by John_in_Luton, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I am doing my PGCE in the NorthWest and will want to relocate to London for my NQT year- is my best bet for finding a position to keep an eye on the TES jobs section throughout the year? Thanks.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Happy to help for Geog you must be at either Goldsmiths, st Mary's,Middlesex or institute?

3. welshwizard

Depends on whether you are primary or secondary?

4. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

November 29th is the day in Lancaster. Though last year they shipped out all their PGCE students on placement at the time of the fair so we only saw the B Eds, if I remember correctly!

5. John_in_Luton

Pot luck for RE. Departments tend to be small, so not many posts come up but when they do they can be hard to fill - the same often applies to music, incidentally, for those musicians reading this. You may be lucky, though remember that there's probably more than one of your colleagues on your course who'd also like to stay in York! I'd advocate casting your net as widely as feasible, and crossing everything you've got for something to come up in the right area! It's worth noting, by the way, that I've seen an increasing trend recently for schools to recruit all-rounders to their humanities departments, who can offer a mix, at least at KS3, of history, geography, RE and / or citizenship.
    The York fair, by the way, is Dec 15.

6. John_in_Luton

Employment prospects in Hull - good. Hull has an equivalent of me, I suggest you get onto the council website and track him down for advice. He shouldn't be hard to find! Even though these days he wears a suit, and not the T shirt he used to wear when I first saw him at the fairs, bearing the slogan 'It's never dull in Hull!'
    The university ran a fair in spring '08 and again the following year - think it was autumn '08 as well, they changed the timing if I remember rightly. Last year, though, they decided not to hold one (which, to be honest, saved me having to tell them I wasn't going. Some of my colleagues from places like Norfolk, Lincolnshire and Peterborough did OK from Hull, but I never managed to persuade any of the students there to venture this far south!). So your nearest fair is probably York, or maybe Bishop Grot in Lincoln. As a chemist, though, and in Hull, your job prospects should be good as long as you've got the skills and attributes to be able to teach!

7. John_in_Luton

Plymouth on October 27, yes. Marjon, haven't got a date yet, but probably not. It tends to be in early January and to clash with other big fairs. I've never managed to make it to Marjon for that reason (and the only authority that I know does go to Marjon is the London Borough of Newham, and that's because of their connections with the university), but there'll be a reasonably representative sample of us at Plymouth, even though some of the eastern region lot don't go because they're saving their powder for Chelmsford the next day.

8. John_in_Luton

Fairs inside the M25: the Institute, Goldsmith's, King's, St Mary's, London Met, UEL, Brunel, Roehampton, Kingston, Greenwich, Middlesex. Have I missed any, WW? We thought South Bank might hold one this year as well, following the acerbic feedback from the inspection team on their ofsted last year, though I've not had confirmation.
    Greenwich is in October half term; UEL and Roehampton mid Dec; St Mary's beginning of Jan; Institute end of Jan; London Met early Feb. The others haven't confirmed yet. Goldsmith's and Kings are usually just before Christmas; Brunel usually early Jan; Kingston has moved around a bit but is usually between mid Dec and mid Jan; Middlesex who knows, they keep it well hidden! Biggest and best is the Institute, though be prepared to rummage around the building a bit, they use a main hall but then scatter some of us around other rooms where we often have a feeling of being overlooked!

9. welshwizard

Looks a complete list - UEL is on the 13th Dec -S Bank still on the fence. Institute may be in early Feb but no confirmation yet.

10. John_in_Luton

We've got confirmed dates for Greenwich, UEL and Roehampton, provisional for St Mary's and London Met, and the Institute was an educated guess as it's always been the last Wednesday in January in recent years.

11. welshwizard

London Institute is now 1st Feb

12. Does anyone know if Exeter will be holding one of these recruitment fairs at all? Or if not, would I be able to go to another one nearby, eg Plymouth?

13. John_in_Luton

Exeter don't. Shouldn't be a problem to get into Plymouth's.

14. What's the Goldsmiths fair normally like? Is that a primary fair?

15. k1tsun3

k1tsun3 New commenter

Anyone know if King's holds a fair? They didn't mention one today.

16. hi!

I'm starting a PGDipEd (new fancy name for PGCE) at the university of Birmingham in secondary French, and wanted to know what my job prospects are like? i want to move to london inner city area? do i need to visit the fairs at london uni's?

17. welshwizard

As previously posted the fairs are organised by individual universities for their students. Some are open to other students visiting but others restrict the access. In the first instance talk with your tutors to
    1) Discuss whether your university has a fair or would consider running one( the real question is if not why not?)
    2) See if there are opportunities to attend other fairs. If these fall on "school days" or college time then you will need specific permission to attend
    3) Contact the organising university to see if they will allow you to attend
    Kings have run fairs in the past usually last week of Autumn term. They are organised by the careers service, similarly Goldsmiths ran a fair last year but no further details for this year yet.

18. John_in_Luton

M'Learned friend is spot on, as ever. Some universities are quite

19. John_in_Luton

M'Learned friend is spot on, as ever. Some universities are quite
    happy

20. John_in_Luton

As I was saying...
    M'Learned friend is spot on, as ever. Some universities are quite happy to have students from outside visit their fairs, though it's a courtesy to check. Others restrict access and have sign-in sheets at the entrance (where they're monitoring that all their students have attended, as some actually regard attending the fair as part of their professional studies programme). And your own university will have to agree to your taking the time off to attend someone else's event.
    I also agree that the first question, if your university doesn't hold a fair (e.g. Birmingham, Exeter, anythere in the north-east apart from York), should be 'why not?'. Especially if it's in a part of the country where jobs, especially for primary, are scarce (e.g. the west country or anywhere in the north).