1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding a job for September 2011 - when, where and how!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by John_in_Luton, Sep 3, 2010.

1. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You need to discuss this with your tutors and also use the university careers service. The Roehampton teacher fair is on the 15th December- could be combined with a London shopping trip! However you would not get local employers there- your better bet if you are looking for jobs in your area would be to attend somewhere like Plymouth or Marjons. Plymouth is on 27th October. Again you need to get your tutors to ask permission to attend from the tutors organising the other events.

2. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Absolutely. Don't get me started on the formula the TDA use to determine what are 'shortage subjects', beyond saying that it does not take into account in any way the vacancy statistics (which show English to be either first or second in the list of vacancies by subject for every local authority in the Eastern region, and I have anecdotal evidence that the same applies throughout the southeast, and I've even heard from areas like Cumbria with the same message.

3. John_in_Luton

Can you get to Plymouth? They're on the Wednesday of October half term, and a few of us will be down there.

4. John_in_Luton

You will need to be both very good and very lucky to get a job in a primary school anywhere in the south west at present, I'm afraid! Bristol might be a better bet, but not a lot. And I'm afraid you're with a provider which is not particularly switched on in terms of helping its students find teaching posts, so you'll need to do a lot of research for yourself.
    The Spanish will only give you a minor advantage, it might swing things if a school had two exactly equal candidates, one of whom had languages and the other not, but don't count on it to push you up the queue. And in that area of the country, everything will depend on the strength of your written application because the majority of applicants won't even get as far as an interview. If you're willing to move, would it be possible to go in the opposite direction, and head east? Draw a line on a map starting at Southampton, up through Oxford to Birmingham, across through Northampton and ending up at Lincoln. South and east of that line, jobs. North and west, patience and a great deal of luck.

5. k1tsun3

k1tsun3 New commenter

Thanks for the reply. The thing is I'm not from the EU, I'm from the US. My partner is from the EU, as such, I'm here on a EU family permit, but the current one is temporary and I need to apply for a 5 year stamp based on my partner. Whilst I await the final decision, which can take up to 6 months, I want to be able to apply for jobs. I'm in London, so I'm pretty confident I can find an NQT position, but I'd rather have that figured out sooner than later.

6. Hi everyone! This is my first post on here so apologies if I have posted in the wrong way, I couldn't see anywhere to post other than to reply to an existing post. I am starting a PGCE in Secondary English in Manchester and am wondering if there is a pooling system for the local LAs as described earlier in the forum? Or does anyone know when any recruitment fairs will be held in the area? Many thanks in advance for any advice and/or pointers to a newbie!

7. John_in_Luton

That's a tricky one to answer at long range and without full details. Most of the London boroughs have got a teacher recruitment team, I suggest you find out who is your local equivalent of me and give them a ring. But it should only be an issue if a school needs to get a work permit for you, as they'd have to show they were meeting the resident labour market test before they could appoint you.

8. John_in_Luton

Pools tend to focus on primary rather than secondary. TheoGriff got me to do a post last year about pools on the Jobseekers forum, he'll doubtless resurrect it in due course for this year's round.
    There is a pool in Manchester, but primary. At least, there was a couple of years ago, but as my counterpart there left last year I don't know if there's anyone there still to run it. Last time I heard details, a year or two ago, they still had 300 primary teachers in their pool on September 1 of that year waiting for jobs, so it was never ultra-effective from the NQT's point of view. Some of the other authorities in that area, like Blackburn, also have pools, but they don't work as well as the ones in the south because of the lack of jobs.
    Manchester doesn't hold a fair, either. The nearest ones that I'm aware of are Edge Hill (Ormskirk) right at the end of November, Chester which is in October half term but no-one's going to that one because they've scheduled it to clash with several big fairs in the south, Cumbria (Lancaster) which is the day before Edge Hill, and Liverpool Hope who haven't set their date yet. There's also York St John in mid December. And keep an eye on the TES jobs pages!

9. John
    Great to have all this info. Thanks so much.
    Also want to thank WelshWizard for posting the dates of recruitment fairs.

10. Ouch! Not looking great then, but thanks for the advice all the same.
    Just one more thing if I may. You say that UWE is not going to be a great help when it comes to finding jobs. Any ideas who I can turn to? Is there a Luton-John or Welsh-Wizard equivalent in Bristol or surrounding areas? Any fairs in the region that you know of?
    Many thanks!

11. Great advice John in Luton, thanks!
    Im about to start a PGCE in Science at Sussex Uni, Brighton. Do you know whether there is a recruitment fair there? and if the LEA operate a pooling system?

12. Thanks for the advice, you have boosted my confidence as I am starting my PGCE in Maths!

13. John_in_Luton

Sorry, nope. Because there is a surplus of job-hunting NQTs in that area, the local authorities don't have a John or a WelshWizard! In fact, last time I went to a fair at UWE, they couldn't even get a representative to come along from anywhere in the region - they'd all left it to the supply agencies. The only fair anywhere in that area this year is probably Cheltenham, unless you hop over the bridge to Swansea.
    Get generic advice on job hunting - there's the advice on the TES forums, and the prospects.ac.uk website for example - and keep a close eye on all the local rags.

14. John_in_Luton

That's one for James, I think he's attached to Sussex, isn't he? There is a fair at Brighton Uni, on Nov 24, though it's very small and I don't rate an invitation. I think Sussex did one very early in the season last year too, though hardly any of us knew about it.
    I'm not sure what systems are in place in East Sussex now, though they used to have a teacher recruitment section, but teacher recruitment is alive and kicking - vigorously - in West Sussex. She's called Carol, and if you go on to the West Sussex website you should be able to track her down (say John in Luton sent you!).

15. John_in_Luton

Good luck, and you should be in demand across most of England (so you're OK as long as you're not in Wales or Scotland!)

16. John_in_Luton

Afterthought - from Lincoln, cross the Humber Bridge to Hull, they usually have jobs going too. But nowhere north of there, I'm afraid.

17. Thanks for that John, I will definitely keep an eye on the jobs pages!

18. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Generally you will find further information about teacher recruitment on most LA websites- they all end .gov.uk o-r you can link with them on Direct.gov. In addition, once the season gets fully underway you will find that the Unions will all produce guides on getting your first teaching job-this lists all the LA pools and applications procedures. The NUT have a version on their website. In early January the TES produce a New Teacher magazine supplement which also contains up to date advice, info and application information.
    In the meantime visit your uni careers services and badger them for " A Guide to Your First teaching appointment" produced by AGCAS. They also produce a variety of other good general guides on applications and interviews-the context may be different but the principles still the same. You can also download from prospects.ac.uk.
    As previously stated the recruitment situation will vary with locality and you need to research your local situation to determine where your better options lie.The time goes really quickly and you do need to be ready to apply as soon as the starting pistol goes.

19. Thanks to you both for replying (nstrowger and john). I've just finished my second day on primary school placement and am enjoying the experience. I will watch these forums carefully over the coming months. Having previously lived and worked in London I have no issues with returning to the South East.

20. I am a NQT living in Ireland and am hoping to relocate to the UK east midlands soon. I am enquiring about my options with regard to teaching in the uk at the moment? Are there specific recruitment agencies that deal with the hiring of non-residents?