1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding a job for September 2011 - when, where and how!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by John_in_Luton, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Hi
    Do you know if there is a recruitment fair near Bristol/Bath and if so, when? Thanks.

2. Morning,
    I was just wondering if there are any recruitment fairs in the East Midlands? I'm currently doing a secondary PGCE at Nottingham Trent but where I live I can potentially look at schools in Leicestershire, Nottinghamsahire, Derbyshire etc
    Thanks

3. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

None in the East Midlands, your nearest ones are York (now done and dusted) and Lincoln (Bishop Grosseteste, next Monday).
    As for the south west, UWE have planned one for Feb 22nd, though I doubt many of us will be going based on past experience. There's one at Marjon in Plymouth on Feb 4, though again it's unlikely to be well populated, and Bath Spa don't do one.
    Portsmouth this Friday for me, then Lincoln next Monday, Cheltenham Wednesday and Bedford Friday.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

St Mary's Twickenham this week on Thursday

5. John_in_Luton

Brunel this Friday as well, I think.

6. Thanks, that was really useful to read :)

7. Thanks for the fedback

8. John_in_Luton

Next fair is actually Cheltenham tomorrow, WW, and instead of Kingston I'm doing the tour of the Principality - Swansea Wednesday and Bangor Thursday. How come my old alma mater Aber doesn't do a fair?

9. welshwizard

Reading ,Kingston, Swansea and Bangor this week then- see you all there- good lecturer at reading worth watching!

10. John_in_Luton

WW, I know your powers are infinite, but how are you going to see them all at Kingston and Swansea, given that they're both on the same day?
    Those at Reading may want to take advantage of the lecture to come and talk to us on the stands while it's quiet!!! (Though I will concede that it's worth listening to the wise words of M'Learned Friend the speaker at Reading).
    Advance warning for next week: Winchester and Middlesex (and Marjon as well, I believe?).

11. welshwizard

End of the season next week with London Met on Tuesday-the Institute Wednesday and Marjons will be on Friday 4th. Look forward to seeing people there ,should be very, very busy-you will recognise both John Luton and myself as we look like our avatars!

12. John_in_Luton

Well you won't recognise either of us at Marjons, I'm afraid, I'm not going and I doubt WW is either. But there's also Warwick on Thursday which I will be at, and there are a couple more - UWE which I won't be going to, and Liverpool Hope on the 15th which I will.

13. k1tsun3

k1tsun3 New commenter

@John_in_Luton, or anyone else who does the hiring: I have applied for several jobs now, but I haven't received an interview yet. I have had other teachers look over my personal statement, and I've never really had issues getting interviews before. I feel I am submitting a strong application. However, the one think of note on my application is that I currently do not have an NI number as my EEA2 application is pending. I am the partner of an EEA national and will have a 5 year stamp without working restrictions; however, it can take immigration 6 months to issue the permit and return my passport. I am disclosing this on my application as most request details of your right to work. Also, has I don't have an NI number, I need to explain why I don't.

Could my 'limbo' status be preventing me from being invited to interviews? I don't need a work permit, as the EEA2 permit gives me the right to work. However, I probably won't have this until May/June. Also, I would think employers would be suspicious if I didn't give a reason as to why I haven't included an NI, so am I right to provide and explanation?

Thanks in advance!

14. welshwizard

As important as the NI number is the GTCE registration you need to have as an EEA trained teacher. You can download a provisional registration form from the GTCE website. A major factor is your subject or phase and part of the country you are based. Teacher recruitment is very regional and it is notoriously difficult to gain a post in NWest and S West in particular.

15. k1tsun3

k1tsun3 New commenter

Thanks for the reply. I just sent off my GTCE registration. I'm trianing for Secondary English in London and looking for jobs in London. Quite a few people on my course have already received job offers.

16. welshwizard

Generally there is a shortage of English teachers in the North and East of London a lot will depend upon the quality of your application and in particular your first degree results. In schools with sixth forms they would recruit with an eye on sixth form teaching. Use the facilities of your university careers for support particularly if they have a recruitment fair.
    Good luck

17. Hello
    I am starting a primary PGCE in swansea in september. I am writing to ask if you could offer me advice for the best way of obtaining a job for september 2012.
    For example, I realise jobs in wales are scarce, but how could I get to these jobs first if they come available. Also, if I am willing to relocate, where are the best options? How do I go about things? I don't understand these pools I keep reading about?
    Also, do you know what options there are in terms of teaching abroad?
    Naomi

18. welshwizard

Firstly congratulations on gaining a place at the Wizard's old Hogwarts!
    The pools for primary candidates are mainly run by LA recruitment teams- the ones that are left that is! They normally open from December onwards and allow you to make an general application to the schools in that borough/county. Swansea has a long standing and well attended recruitment fair usually in early January this gives the opportunity to meet with recruiters and find out the current situation.
    Finding induction posts this year is difficult as you will see from the threads but you need to do some research on the areas that are increasing pupil population and opening new schools where there is likely to be more openings.You can then target these areas.
    John or myself usually post a new version of this thread in September so keep a look out.
    Enjoy the Gower

19. John_in_Luton

Yes, as M'Learned Friend says there is a well-established fair in Swansea every January, though last year the behaviour of some of the commercial supply agency representatives (who tend to swamp the Swansea fair) was worse than ever, and the organisers from the careers department let them get away with it, so there might not be as much representation from real employers next January as there has been up till now.
    As WW says, he and I usually put up a new edition of this thread at the start of each school year, so look out for us in September!

20. John_in_Luton

If you look at the current, live consultation on the DfE website you'll see they are proposing to do exactly this, so your petition is likely to be redundant.
    And if anyone is reading this and looking for tips on job hunting for September 2012, you'll see that this is the 2011 incarnation of my annual post on this topic, the 2012 version is elsewhere on this forum.