1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding a Job advice ?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by scross24, May 15, 2019.

1. scross24

scross24 New commenter

I'm an NQT coming towards the end of a maternity contract. It's come to that time where everyone is asking what I'm going to do next. I still have one term of my NQT year that I will need to complete in September. I'm thinking about moving away from the Channel Islands to England but I have no idea how to go about finding a job over there!? I've looked at some job websites but I don't know how I would know which school is right for me just by looking at their website and because they only give you a few days or a week at most usually to apply I wouldn't be able to travel over and have a look around. I would love some advice on how I would go about finding a job away from home and knowing what is right for me, does anyone have any experience on this?

2. supplyteacher007

supplyteacher007 New commenter

I have been in this exact situation! Relocating from the north of England to the south and I have just secured myself a job for September so it is possible if you keep trying. My advice is to make yourself known to the school you are applying for, email them or call them and arrange to speak to the head teacher to ask some questions about the school (similar to what you would ask on a school tour) this gives you a chance to explain your current situation and also get a good feeling for the school. Then, if you are lucky enough to be shortlisted for interview I would request a tour then. I hope this helps, message me if you need anymore advice!

3. J.M.Powell

J.M.Powell New commenter

You will find yourself in a strong position over the next half term if you're looking for a job in September, as schools who have vacancies to fill find themselves with slim pickings due to the resignation date for current teachers being at the end of May. The fact that you have a term of your NQT year left will not be an issue; NQTs are desirable for their affordability, but having some experience will give you a definite advantage over other applicants.
    You can glean a surprising amount from school websites if you look hard. Read the latest Ofsted report, look at % pupil premium and SEND to give you an idea of the demographic. Also, check out https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/compare-schools to look at key data. You need to think carefully about whether you would prefer to work for an academy chain, a faith school or a local authority school and choose accordingly. Also consider whether you prefer a small school (where you will be responsible for all the planning in your year group) or a larger one (where it will be shared).
    It's always better to visit a school if you can, but the suggestion to phone the head is a good one; however, don't be put off if a head is not available to speak to you. If this is the case, explain to the administrator why you are unable to visit and this will be passed on.
    Good luck with your search!

4. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

Which part of England?

I agree - there are lots of opportunities but it depends on how important a school culture is to you. You'd be moving to a new school and area so there'd be alot to research that you won't find in an Ofsted report or flashy website.

Personally, I say apply and visit and see if you like the feel of a few schools. How attached are you to your class? Would you negotiate leaving your school just before end of the term to visit a few potential schools? Any school still advertising jobs for September would surely welcome a visit.

Lastly, in some regions it's not uncommon to supply and school hop til you find a good fit.

Good luck.