1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finding 2nd year of teaching much harder than NQT year.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by peninhair, Jan 2, 2011.

1. I felt exactly the same when I was an NQT+1. You are not alone! I am 4 years after my NQT year with currciulum reponsibilty and still feel somedays that I am paddling to stay afloat ( I think that's the expression). The only difference is I now have more knowledge of coping strategies in place to help me get through (increased peer marking, self assessment tecniques etc).
    I also work in a Catholic school and although I am not the coordinator I know there are a plethora of websites out there - don't spend ages searching but is there something you can adapt?
    Also, how was your relationship with your mentor or do you have someone else in school you can have a chat with? Perhaps your SLT might be able to find you a little one off time for some RE work?

2. Good advice from peninhair re the speaking to the old mentor/SLT. They should take it into consideration that it is a big leap from supported NQT to unsupported subject leader - especially that subject in that school.
    It does get easier in that you are not scrutinised as much but the downside of that is you are expected to do more independently, having passed the NQT standards.

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

.I know how you feel. I'm exactly the same and am PLT and am finding having to organise kids to go to sports stuff as well as do all my own stuff is very difficult. As well as having to give my time alone in the classroom up to attend sports things when other people sail out of the door at half 3, or have jazzy classrooms when mine looks shabby and old cause i just don't have time to do it!!

4. skellig1182

skellig1182 New commenter

I've stuck to just being a classroom teacher (2nd year) and I am finding it so much easier then last year. Not having the pressure of failing and never being able to teach again is anough to make me feel great everyday. Everything that comes my way I've done before so it's second time around. I gets done twice as fast. It's not the unknown anymore. I know longer feel like i'm trying to crack a code!

5. I so know what you mean about the classroom. I hold a few responsibilities which are very time consuming and my classroom is always the poorest in terms of interactive, exciting, well presented, engaging displays. I hate it but just don;t have the time in the day for it. LSAs are always deployed to the minute as well so there is no spare time for them to do this unless I plan it in. (not that that guarantees the attributes of displays I mentioned earlier).

6. Thanks for the replies, I feel better knowing its not just me. I found this a really hard thing to admit to, I tried to discuss with my old mentor how hard I was finding the transition from NQT and how overwhelming my subject was but he always says thats the nature of the job. I will now start working on adopting some coping strategies!

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Lol I put all these ideas onto my planning, and then get in at 8 in the morning, with every intention of doing it, and then people start walking in asking for things and doing other stuff and I find it's 8:50, kids are coming in and my bright ideas gone!! :(

8. I am feeling exactly the same! I have changed schools but feel that I don't have as much time as last year due to new responsibilties and settling into a new school. I don't ever feel that I totally switch off and am always thinking about school, marking, displays, planning etc. I also find myself having a mini breakdown that my lessons aren't creative enough even though Im at school at 7 in the morning and don't leave until 5, then go home to work even more! I thought this was just part of being an NQT but seeing as im now in my 2nd year im wondering if my life will flash before my eyes! lol

9. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I've been feeling since the beginning of the year that I've lost some of the sparkle I felt in my NQT year... My lessons definitely aren't as creative, I don't have the all-singing IWB stuff showing LOs and having differentiated plenaries drawn out and my resources are often just something written down. I have lost my way, somehow and it feels all wrong, even though last year I spent far too much time at home on the computer, planning lessons and creating things to use. I don't feel like a good teacher anymore, whereas last year I did but my life outside school suffered terribly.
    Where's the happy medium?

10. I know exactly what you mean and the only consolation is there are obviously lots of us who are finding this second year hard going so at least we are normal! As to the happy medium is there one? I hope so...and that one day I find it.

11. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

I feel exactly the same. I feel like everything is taking longer this year (I do have a new year group, more children and extra responsibility though) and that I'm no longer a good teacher. I feel like everyone else is far better, has better lessons and their classes make more progress. It is really disheartening, especially as I put so much into it. I don't work all the hours God sends but I do work each night and at weekends. Makes me wonder if all the training and hard work was worth it :(