1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finders Fees

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by cornflake, Nov 28, 2018.

1. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Hi @cornflake and @Pomza

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I wish to pick your brains more on this point.

Obviously a Head ' of a small village primary' will not be able to do any HR functions adequately but you inform the LA of the staff, their pay rates, adjustments due to absence etc and then the LA handles all the payroll matters via whatever contract.

How difficult (or expensive) is it to set up an arrangement with the LA which states "John J Cazorla worked on these dates this month.... making a total of x days for which he should be paid at UPS3"? Then the payroll fairies at the LA arrange the payment to come out at the end of the following month as with any other of the employees. All you need to do then is keep me happy about the fact the cash won't land for 4-8 weeks which is not a biggie if clear in advance.

This is not an idle query, several times I've seriously tried to market myself to local schools on this basis and I seem to have got nowhere due to HR not being bothered. Some of these schools have gone on to fork out the £270 a day (or whatever) for me via an agency so it can't be that I'm rubbish.

2. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Are you asking about casual supply contracts? I employ a few teachers as casual supply teachers direct. These tend to be people who have worked as a teacher previously at the school, but have then left.. but who still want to do the odd bit of teaching. When they work, we tell Payroll, and they get paid accordingly.
    I am considering advertising for 'casual teachers" next to extend the number of teachers I can hold like this... as although it would cost me a few days of interviews, it might save a heap of trouble (and money) longer term....

midnight_angel and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Thank you, that's precisely what I'm asking about but I didn't know how to refer to the job. Should I relaunch my begging letters carefully tailored requests for supply work I will make sure I use the phrase "Casual supply contracts" in future.
    I forgot to say it'd cost you in time and effort but it should be better in the long run compared to the agency option.

4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

We also had teachers on 'casual supply contracts'. I preferred it to supply agencies; cost -wise and not knowing the quality of the teacher being sent etc.

JohnJCazorla and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

I'd also think about actually dropping in to the schools you are interested in... by chance, a new-to-area teacher interested in supply work turned up on my doorstep just as I needed a teacher. Now as it happened, I needed full time and they only wanted part time... but because of my situation, and because they were actually at the door, I did actually have a conversation with them...
    They also said that they'd be interested in voluntary work if I was able to place them on a casual supply list .. which made me think they really did want local work, not just anything..

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We had one supply teacher on a zero hours contract-it seemed the easiest way for the LA to deal with it. She was our first call supply ( primary) but worked only when she wanted to. There was no guarantee of work but it suited both!

Lara mfl 05 and JohnJCazorla like this.