1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finders Fees

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by cornflake, Nov 28, 2018.

1. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

I'm in desperate need of a great teacher for January... but only had three applicants that were not suitable.
    So I'm pretty much forced to go to a supply agency now and am appalled that for a 2 term placement there would be a finders fee of 4K.... or, a daily rate of £270!!
    That seems extortionate to me?
    But is it usual?

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Sorry to hear this.

Yes, it is common! We (under the previous head but billed when I became head) had to pay a finders fee for a TA. It was over a £1,000!
    I tried to challenge it, even involved county lawyers but I still had to pay.

The practice should be outlawed.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

As well-paid supply, £195 per day for Secondary Maths/Science in West Yorks, then I'm impressed that an agency can get away with £270 a day. I'm paid via an umbrella company so that is money out of the agency, giving a profit of £75 per day. 23x5x£75 over the 2 terms for doing a few phone calls!

Given that agencies are constantly screwing down their pay to the supply teachers, mainly using the excuse 'Schools are short of money' then why can't you shop around agencies? Or can you get your HR to step up and actually pay supply directly?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. cornflake

oh I am shopping around, but with only 3 weeks of term left, and no teacher... I am becoming a bit desperate!
    If I could have recruited my own teacher, I wouldn't need an agency.
    (I'm laughing at the concept of a small village primary having an HR department though!)

Lara mfl 05, Pomza and digoryvenn like this.
  5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You are the HR dept...!

Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  6. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

My supply agency offers to waive the finder's fee if we have booked the teacher for 7 weeks in a row . Gives us time to try before we buy in case there's a problem but also saves a fortune if we're happy.

Flanks likes this.
  7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Is Pomza right?* Or is payroll and other HR matters handled by the LA?

If it's the latter then could you sub-contract the 'finding and paying a supply direct' problem on to them? I say this rather wistfully as I find that most HR departments are useless at employing directly and often just can't be bothered.:(

* to be fair, Pomza usually is.

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You are right that it is likely that a small LA maintained school is likely to subscribe to payroll services and potentially also to some HR services. However, it is not at all likely that the service provider will be involved in recruitment of staff or have any involvement in local budget decisions. These will fall on the school to manage themselves.

9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

No wonder the supply bills are through the roof. This seems scandalous to me, a bordering-on-criminal misdirection of funds away from schools and teachers.

Lara mfl 05 and HS65 like this.
  10. cornflake

yep - as Pomza says.. .we buy HR Admin + Payroll service (not from LA, they no longer have them) but this does not extend to anything to do with recruitment, structures, budgets etc!!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. otters258

otters258 New commenter

Completely normal. We have just paid 5k for a January teacher. Even then the charlatans at the agency tried to sell the Head a daily rate for the teacher which they claimed would be a better deal for the school. Of course when we did the sums they would have made nearer to 8k on that scam with the poor teacher getting significantly less than giving her a temporary contract for the two terms which includes being paid over the summer. The whole set up is a disgraceful waste of public money.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. cornflake

5K for a teacher from Jan-August? With them going on your payroll? And then, presumably, you have to find another teacher in Sept? (Which is where I am too)
    *** shakes head in disbelief ***
    .... can't help but feel this recruitment crisis is having a more profound effect on children than I realised

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. digoryvenn

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. jamtart20

jamtart20 New commenter

John, I've heard this £270 per day for an agency quoted in my area, whilst the supply themselves end up with £110, making a £160 profit A DAY!

Absolutely extraordinary.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  15. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

It's the same across all recruitment industries. About 8years ago we paid £3k to a care agency when we wanted to employ bthe carer directly for my mother.

16. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Why don't you readvertise the post yourself with a higher daily rate? Don't companies argue that they have to offer high calibre staff bigger salaries?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    JohnJCazorla likes this.
  17. cornflake

i advertised at UPR...

18. jamtart20

jamtart20 New commenter

The guidance still mentions finders fees as being above board.

Whoever agreed to this idea in the first place needs shooting to be honest, an appalling waste of public money and poor value for schools and teachers alike.

19. cornflake

A bit of an update: I found an NQT via an agency, which has agreed a reasonable daily rate and for me to take her onto contract after 12 weeks with no fees.
    I am delighted by the potential that this teacher shows (and can't work out why nobody else snapped her up to be honest!)
    I was looking for an experienced teacher, but it seems there were none around to apply direct; and none to be had at UPR3 without massive finders fees...

Lara mfl 05, Flanks and digoryvenn like this.
  20. digoryvenn

Great news!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.