1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finders Fee help

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by rugby_gal06, May 1, 2012.

1. I started working at a school towards the end of the summer term last year through one of my supply agencies. In September, I was contacted by the other agency I am registered with and I have worked on long term supply at the same school all of this year. Who, if either, would be entitled to the finders fee? Unfortunately, other than what is written in my diary, I can't prove that the other agency sent me to the school. The school may have confirmation though. I'm worried that the finders fee for either will be a lot of money and this will stop me being appointed at this school :(
    Can anyone with any knowledge of this shed any light?
    Thank you.

2. I worked 3.5 days at this school at the end of the summer term last year.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Finder's fees are what schools pay an agency when they decide to take the teacher on with a permanent contract or a fixed-term contract.
    There will be no finder's fee as the school has not taken you on as a direct employee on an LA/ Academy contract. You remain an agency worker.
    Both agencies are free to place you with the school as both agencies have a contract with the school for placing teachers. The original agency that placed you there last year does not have an exclusive arrangement with the school.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

A finder's fee is not something for the supply yeacher to be concerned about.
    It's written into the contract between agency and school and schools know what they are letting themselves in for if they then want the teacher on staff.
    The only way the agency teacher would be involved would be when the school asks them if they would like to be employed directly by the school. If the teacher agrees, the school and agency sort out the finances.
    If that happened with the OP, the current agency would be charging the school the finder's fee as the OP has not been placed at the school by the first agency for quite some time and there will be a time limit on their rights to a fee.

5. Thanks for your response Jubilee.
    My concern is that I won't be able to work at this school permanently because the agency will want to charge them a lot of money and the school will be unwilling to pay this.
    I take it even though I am applying off my own back to the school for an advertised post, this makes no difference to the agency wanting to claim their fee?

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You should apply and, if selected, leave it to the school to deal with your agency (or not) about a finder's fee.
    Someone posted recently on the same subject and I advised that as the job was for September, they should refuse any more random supply days at the school so that they created a sufficient employment gap at the school for no finder's fee to be chargeable.
    Your situation is different as you have reasonably secure work with the school this term, so I'd advise you to apply and to resign from the agency at the end of term if you get the job. Do not be drawn on where you will be employed after the holidays and leave it to the school to be up-front with them, or not.
    Resign in writing so that you don't have to speak to anyone at the agency and don't answer their calls.

7. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

How on earth can an Agency call introductory fees when they know that majority of their supply will be seeking full time employment and applying for posts all over the country, including locally,whilst on supply. Yes you may have worked in some of the schools via the Agency but unless the school has instructed the Agency to find a suitable permanent teacher I suspect that they would not be successful if they called for an introductory fee. If on the other hand they did and you were told about it and your name put forward as a candidate and you also agreed for them to do this before the post was advertised then that's a different matter. I think if tested Agencies would back down .... after all they want good relationships with schools........ otherwise no more income from that source if they upset them. Agencies seem to be non regulated.......... about time the Government did something about it and workers need to be protected from this type of hold from Agencies. A campaign here I think??? anyone wanting to run with it.

8. Thanks for your comments. I only hope this is the case. I will be well and truely hacked off if I'm prevented getting a job in a school I am known to because of this fee. I'm applying independent of the agency, so I'm hoping what you suggest is the case!!
    A campaign is needed to raise awareness of this so people don't fall into the same trap!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I was thinking that as well - why would an agency want to ruin a business relationship and (although of lesser concern) the relationship with the supply teachers?
    I really think there is a place for an ethical supply agency which pays ok and does not rip off schools.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The trouble is that you need to register with agencies to get temporary work and you don't know at regsitration that one of the schools they send you to might have a permanent vacancy advertised nationally that you will want to apply for.
    I think that the finder's fee has more validity when it's the placement that the agency sent you for that is extended and involves the school wanting you on their contract.
    If it's a different post entirely that is advertised, it does smack of an unwarranted restriction on your access to employment and the school's freedom to choose you on the same financial basis that they'd be considering for all otrher applicants.
    It's all in the small print of agency contracts with supply teachers and schools, however, and they can legally enforce those clauses.

11. My NQT extension is running out, so I need this job. I don't know what to do or think.
    I'm tempted to ring the agency and ask them what the situation would be, but I don't want to tip them off. The post is completely different to the one I was undertaking.
    Their website says about having a teacher on supply that the school would like to take on permanently - I take that to mean from being there and then the school decide to take you on. Not if you apply for an advertised job.

12. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I think the finders fee would apply if you were on supply in a class covering sickness and then the perm teacher resigned and you stayed on and became perm.
    Go for the job and say nothing to any of them. I doubt that any school would ring up an agency and say "Oh by the way we owe you ££££".
    As for the agency...it's up to them to keep track of fees... it's not your concern!
    All the best!

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I hope you get the job so this next information may be irrelevant.
    There are expected to be changes this year to the 16 month supply limit (+ possible 12 months extension from LAs as happens at the moment).
    The expected change is for a 5 year supply limit as applies in Wales (5 years from GAINING qts).
    A proposed extra measure it that those who are still within their 16 month allowance when the new 5 year period comes in, or are within their agreed LA extension period, will be able to alos avail themselves of a 5 year period for taking non-Induction work, dating from their first day of non-Induction teaching in a State school.