1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finders fee for supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by DJTrees, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Hello, a quick question. If I where to leave a supply agency and take a job in a school I have been working in via the agency how much would the school have to pay?
    Also is there anyway that I can do this without getting stung by the agency?
    The agency that I am with have changed hands and after being initially helpful have changed and now are simply very happy with me just simply giving them money every week (I've been on long term supply)
    I have been offered a couple of days in the school but wages via the agency wouldn't keep me going. If I could buy out the agency then I would or if there is another way of getting out of their clutches please let me know.

Thanks
    Steven

2. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

If the agency know about it they will want a fee paid. Are the school offering you work paid direct through the LEA? If so keep quiet and don't tell the agency. If however it is paid via the agency there may be little you can do as most schools won't deal with sole traders (self employed.)

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

This is quite normal. The agency can wive the fee if you work the first term of 'permanent' employment on supply. That way they'll get a slice of the cake. It's a real pain as some schools cannot afford big fees on recruitment.

4. sorry can't add anything more to the full comments already made.
    however, on the subject of agencies- i managed to speak to one of our city councillors- the one in charge of education and asked them if it was possible for the LA to put supply teachers through payroll again as surely it was, in the current climate, unsustainable for schools to be paying £60-£90 a day per teacher in additional agency commission. They were totally gobsmacked-i was flabbergasted they didn't even know about this-i kid you not!
    I'm waiting to hear the outcome- there may have been some legal trussing gone on (slimy agencies-wouldn't surprise me) that ties the councils' hands-not sure yet.
    But i would urge every supply teacher to get onto their council pdq and kick up a fuss-also contact local radio and press. Councils are looking at every penny and it ain't pennies what the fat a***d agency "consultants" are raking in off our backs.
    The union support on this has been abysmal -i'm seriously considering if it's worth paying subs this year.
    So folks- it's down to us- councils daren't be seen to be wasting money. Get on the phone, speak to your MP / Councillor email the press, email /phone in local radio (you dont have to give your name).
    PS is STUK still going does anyone know? Lucy put up a great fight for supply teachers.

5. This is the question I was about to raise-for how long after working at a particular school through an agency can the agency claim a "finders fee?" Is there a legal ruling on this? Secondly, does it make a difference whether you are still working for the agency in the meanwhile, at other schools?
    With the downturn in agency work, literarily scores of schools could become available to me, for contract or LEA day-to-day supply.

6. phatsals

6 months is the norm. So if you don't work from Easter (April) by Sept you are a free agent. The details are usually hidden in the small print on your contract. I suggest you give your CV to schools you like and give lots of reminders of your availability.

7. Poppy_Red

Poppy_Red New commenter

What about if you have done some supply at a school, they have a postiion coming up and they ask you to apply - surely if you apply off your own bat, and they interview you along woth others and then decide you are the best candidate this is nothing to do with the agency? This is the position I am in (although not got to interview yet) and as far as I know both myself and the school are going to avoid mentioning anything about the vacancy or application to the agency. Obviously would be different if i applied for the job through the agency, but they have not told me about the job and I have applied for it by myself, not through them.

8. The agency has "introduced" you to the school. The request has come from the fact the school knows you, as a result of a past placement.
    "Six months is the norm". There must be something which puts the legal situation down in writing, otherwise conflict could result. Or do different agencies have different policies? I saw one of my agencies conduct codes, don't remember seeing this thing mentioned.

9. phatsals

It's usually in the very, very small print. I'm one of those people who do read small print on contracts and every one so far has had a 6 month caveat. The reality however is 'what the eye can't see', so if you've done the odd day somewhere and get an offer of more work, paid direct, take it and don't tell. The issues tend to arise if you are long term somewhere and they offer you a contract. Most schools won't fudge that one.

10. As far as I can tell there isn't much cause for discussion on this as the agency do everything. They contact the teacher, register the teacher, introduce the teacher to schools, sort their timesheets and pay out for them & deal with the regular issues that occur.
    So, if a school decide that they want to keep a teacher who they wouldn't know from Adam on a permanent basis then surely after doing after doing all of the work for this to happen the agents deserve to be paid for it.
    Teachers don't volunteer to work for nothing so why should the agencies?

11. I agree with playing by the rules, and not working directly if introduced, the issue is what the rules are regarding the passing of time. It can't go on forever, 6 years after last working at a particuler school etc

12. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Hi,

It depends on your school and your agency really. I once did occasional
    daily supply for a large secondary school via an agency. The job I’d been doing
    on supply was advertised and I applied for it off my own back.

I was interviewed and offered the job. As the school gave the agency a lot a
    work, and as they agreed to give me first dibs on supply for the remaining few
    months of the summer term in turn boosting the agencies profits,
    the school were able to employee me withoutpaying a fee.

Keeping a regular contract and good relations with the school
    where more important to the agaency then getting a one off finders fee.

13. What lies and exploitation from the HT and agency when you are keen, able and willing to work? Both seem equally malign.unfair and exploitative. Surely if he desperately wanted his pupils to be taught properly he could employ you on a decent daily rate via the agency and so be it?

It seems the HT did not actually want to give you a contract and used the finder's fee nonsense about you paying it yourself. All losers in this corrupt system...

14. What lies and exploitation from the HT and agency when you are keen,
    able and willing to work? Both seem equally malign.unfair and
    exploitative. Surely if he desperately wanted his pupils to be taught
    properly he could employ you on a decent daily rate via the agency and so be it?

It seems the HT did not actually want to give you a contract and used the finder's fee nonsense about you paying it yourself. All losers in this corrupt system...

15. i am currently applying for jobs at the moment, if a job comes up in a school i have done say one or two day work in will that affect my application? will the school have to pay a finders fee for this aswell

16. You are an independent if you apply of your own back! The agency has no right because they did not actually advertise the job!!!

17. phew that makes me feel much better, cheers :)

18. The agency don't advertise forthcoming opportunities at schools their supply have previously worked in, but still will claim to have introduced the supply to the school if further work has come along. I'm not at all sure they actually work according to the above ethic. Comes down to contract details, surely, otherwise any school can just say to a supply teacher, "We've got a job coming up, are you interested?" And avoid the finder's fee.
    I think it will come down to the 6 month rule, not the placement of the vacency advert.

19. Ok agency take me to court! I'm ready for a test case! All the way to the European Court of Human Rights?!

20. What.are.you.talking.about?

You signed the t's & c's. Fair enough if you haven't worked through the agency at a specific school for three months then it's waivered. But you can't just have it all your own way, if a agency introduced you to a school and you worked in a school through them and it goes permanent then what's your problem?

Have a bit of integrity, if you're too lazy to look at the t's and c's then it's your own fault, if you did take the time to look through the t's and c's then it's your own fault.