1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Financing the summer between PGCE and NQT

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by claire2409, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Hello
    I am a Secondary Maths PGCE student and I am wondering if anyone can offer any advice on how to survive the summer holidays without any income without having to go back to the kind of retail/shop jobs that saw me through A levels and university?
    Would I be able to take on supply work between finishing my course and the summer holidays? Do LAs run playschemes or anything similar? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. If you find a job, ask if you could start when your course ends. If not, apply to agencies- you can do supply BUT a. it's hard stuff and b. thin on the ground, especially at that time of year. Ask about work through the summer though- some place people in prisons, etc. Worth a look for playschemes, though a lot are volunteer run. Maybe try language schools who run summer immersion programmes. Maybe advertise as a private tutor. Though you might just need to suck it up and get some temping work (retail may not be ideal- all the y11s at my school are already applying and they're MUCH cheaper than us)

3. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

When I finished my PGCE, I was able to do supply at the school where I was starting in the September for the last half term of the academic year, got a paycheck at the end of July and in August.
    I got the job at the beginning of May I think, was a long time ago now, and apart from a few days etc to get everything signed off, I was able to go into the school from the first week of the last half term, so it was was about 5-6 weeks all told.
    Always worth an ask if you manage to secure a job before the end of the academic year?
    B x

4. sign on. If you don't get a job, you'll need the NI contributions paying. Make the most of your last chance ever to go on holiday without children.

5. erp77

erp77 New commenter

I agree, sign on.
    Hopefully you'll be working the rest of your life and this will be the only time you will need to do it. You might as well get some of your money back!

6. I worked full time in the job that I worked part time during my (full time) PGCE! I waited tables and earned enough to spend three weeks in Africa and solicitors' fees for house purchase.

7. work at an English summer camp in South Korea. Good experience and ok money!

8. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

How about an online tutor? The working hours are not guaranteed as it is down to demand but the rate is pretty good.