1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Financial question!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by kazzmaniandevil, Sep 4, 2011.

1. When are grants, burserys and other financial assistance details likely to be released? It seems insane that we are being asked to apply for PGCE by Oct yet most Uni's have not released the new fees and neither have the TDA. What are we likely to be able to apply for if fees are around the 8K mark? There doesnt seem to be any details surrounding this?
    Cheers for any help
    Kazz

2. When are grants, burserys and other financial assistance details likely to be released? It seems insane that we are being asked to apply for PGCE by Oct yet most Uni's have not released the new fees and neither have the TDA. What are we likely to be able to apply for if fees are around the 8K mark? There doesnt seem to be any details surrounding this?
    Cheers for any help
    Kazz

3. Just bear in mind that the 11/12 cohort had all applied, and some had even been to interview before the government had made any announcements about places and funding. Many unis had shortlisted people but were unable to offer even a conditional place as they had no idea until the end of February how many places they would have....finally after months of uncertainty the government suddenly announced they were cutting places in some secondary subjects (which meant shortlisted candidates then had to be passed onto their second choices - which were now full) and then they announced that they were getting rid of the bursaries for most courses too!
    I just hope that the 12/13 cohort gets better treatment, it was an incredibly nerve-racking couple of months waiting to hear if the course that I had got onto actually had a place for me!
    I always said that I would do teacher training no matter what the financial side of it was. However, it would have been very helpful to have the bursary, instead I am having to rely on means tested benefits to enable me to scrape by. I am a million % sure that it will be worth it in the long run, and it's something I've wanted for a long time, so I figure I have to grit my teeth and bear it!!
    By the end of November we'll be eating dust for dinner, but come January when the next student loan comes in we can have fresh fruit again! LOL!

4. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I'm with stacey1004, not knowing the fee amount is nothing in comparison to what we went through this year! It's going to be an extremely tough year financially for us, though hopefully you'll get your bursary back next year.

Quite a few universities have released what their fee amount will be, if you can't find it on the website give them a call. If they can't tell you yet, that means they're still working it out. But to be honest, does it really matter? I know that when picking a uni I'd look at how good it is and it's location etc., the fee amount wouldn't really come into it. You get a tuition fee loan to cover it so I really wouldn't worry about it, it's not like you have to find the money yourself otherwise I'd see the concern and needing to know before you apply. If you're an international student you'll have to pay your own fee I believe but then you'll be paying a different amount anyway which the university should already know as I doubt that fee will change.

5. I know the uni I was interviewed at last week through clearing said the fees are likely to be in line with undergrad fees. If you have this in mind, then you might get a nice surprise if they are lower :)

Probably worth calling the TDA, or email unis directly.

Does anyone know if bursaries are available for part time courses? I'm going to email some institutions to ask.

Thanks

6. Cheers for the reply's guys, not that fussed about Uni fees but it would be kinda nice to see if im might be entiled to some help during pgce but hey im still doing it anyway!