1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Financial penalty for booking cancellation

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by katzielinska7, May 10, 2019.

1. katzielinska7

katzielinska7 New commenter

Hi there,
    I started doing a little supply work as I am between teaching jobs at the moment.
    The other week I had to cancel a one-off booking in the morning on the day I was supposed to work as I woke up with a migraine onset.
    I called the agency before 7am and let them know.
    I just received my payslip and I got over £70 deducted for booking cancellation. Is this a standard practice? I was never informed of this and I cannot find anything about financial penalties in the contract. I'm upset because I did have a good reason to cancel, I simply couldn't leave the house...

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Ooh, I've never heard of that! Definitely pursue it with the agency. Just imagine the flip side of that: the school/agency cancels at the last minute and you get a similar sum credited to your account....

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Leave this agency and find another. Most are more understanding.

tonymars, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  4. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

Have you been paid for the day and this is just them taking the money back off you I. E. Just not paying you for the day

Jesmond12 likes this.
  5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Check with the agency if it is an error. If not drop them immediately.

MissGeorgi, pepper5 and les25paul like this.
  6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Check with the agency to see if it is an error. If not then drop them immediately. I recently phoned in sick on the morning of a booking to an awful school that I could not face going to.

I was not penalised in any way.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

I have been doing supply for many years and I have never heard of that before, in fact it may be illegal, I suspect that just sent somebody else instead, so they made the days fee and £70 off you as well. I would challenge them on the matter and I would raise it with the union legal team as well. Also switch to other agencies, the one that did that to you do not deserve you and your skills.

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I thought i had heard most of the strokes that agencies pull but i have never known of this before. As @BertieBassett2 said, you do not get compensated if the agency cancels a booking. I wonder (hope) that this is a mistake, and the fee is charged to the school, if it cancels.

FrauRussell and agathamorse like this.
  9. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

This reminded me of something - the practice of delivery companies expecting drivers to find sick/holiday cover for their rounds (for which of course they didn't get paid as they were conveniently "self-employed") or facing hefty fines. Lose-lose situation. It was in the news maybe a year or two ago. IF any teaching agencies are trying to jump on that bandwagon in their own way, it needs stamping on now. Definitely one for our unions, if they are!

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  10. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Under Conduct of Employment Agency legislation, the agency cannot levy any non statutory fees or penalties from "the candidate" ie - you.
    Does your payslip actually schedule this deduction as a cancellation fee? Just write them a brief email, setting out dates, times and circumstances. Ask what the deduction is for. Don't say any more than that.
    Wait for their explanation.
    If you're in a Union, ask their advice. If not, Citizans' Advice. If the agency says it's a tax adjustment, it should state that on the payslip.
    Are you paid through a payroll company?

11. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Teachers paying for their own cover:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/...cher-breast-cancer-pay-substitute/1158224001/

FrauRussell and agathamorse like this.
  12. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

In the last 4 years I have been cancelled several times when I have been in the school's carpark, or, actually in the foyer. Never received a penny in compensation and usually did not get an alternative offer of work. Therefore I not only lost a day's pay, I also lost perhaps 2 hours travelling and the fuel for that journey. The worst was Moanrch, who I dropped after the third incident in an academic year.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  13. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

Read your contract. If that is not in it, the charge is unlawful.

I hate agencies, they are the p1mps of the business world. They should be banned. I too have had every kind of stunt pulled by Select (when they were called that). Getting into a school reception "Oh, you're not required". I've done taxi driving and that is one way of dealing with every class of vermin feral scum imaginable. Supply teaching is a rizla thickness better. At least no-ones going to be sick on you.

Like all agencies, schools are the customer. You are just the replaceable tool. You are expendable. If you make a fuss, make ripples, or generally impede their filthy practices, you will be dropped like a hot coal.

Burn them all down. GRRRR

tonymars and agathamorse like this.
  14. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

Yeah, check with them, in fact maybe even call them. With a smileon your face, say something like “oh there’s been a mistake, blahblah”. I find agencies are far more generous over the phone.
    If it’s standard practice, drop immediately. And tell them why you are. They’ll pay you back in a flash ;)

agathamorse likes this.
  15. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

I have never heard of this either. I recently was thinking of taking a career change but it did not go ahead when I saw what was written in the contract. If you did not let them know before 7am that you were unfit for work you would be charged £75 per call out missed that day. This sounds similar.

16. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Can you PM me and give me a link to that. Thanks

17. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

This does not sound right. I certainly wouldn't accept it.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I have heard of schemes, which are effectively 'pay to work' but 'pay to not work' takes it to new depths.

I would interested to know what happens to the OP, if they query this.

BetterNow likes this.
  19. freshfriesan

freshfriesan New commenter

Whaaaaaaaatttttttt! Disgusting. Burn it down is right