1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Financial / legal question

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Jun 16, 2015.

  1. lindenlea

    lindenlea Star commenter

    This is so frustrating. Our parents left a trust for my sisters and me to inherit. We were made trustees in January and asked an IFA to advise on the best way to deal with it. The Pru would not deal with him without further written authorisation which we provided but they still won't respond. We have phoned and been promised a response in 48hrs but this deadline has come and gone with nothing on two occasions now. We don't know if a solicitor's letter helps in these circumstances - does anyone know. I favour a further written request both from us and from the IFA but would go with the solicitor's intervention if I thought it would help.
  2. wanet

    wanet Star commenter

    Sounds like a solicitor or CAB. You can get falf hour free with some solicitors!
  3. GLsghost

    GLsghost Star commenter

    Have you exhausted the Pru's internal complaints procedure? Then Financial Ombudsman?

    I would make a formal complaint in writing and then use the FO.
  4. lindenlea

    lindenlea Star commenter

    We had the letter of complaint composed and ready to go when our IFA emailed to say the Pru had sent him the information he needs to advise us so we'll just get on with it now. They do seem to have our affairs in a muddle - some call centre operatives seem to still be seeing my parents address on the file while others accept that we are trustees. No reply to our calls though and no apology. C r a p service!
  5. grumpydogwoman

    grumpydogwoman Star commenter

    The Pru. Say no more.

    Threaten them with consumer watchdog programmes. Are you on twitter? Shame them on twitter.
  6. lindenlea

    lindenlea Star commenter

    I know that's one way but frankly the three of us have had so much worry about this inheritance over the last 2 years that we just want it sorted out and don't have any spare energy for causing a public outcry. The ombudsman would be the way to go I think if it proved necessary but so far we have just fallen short of needing to do that. Thanks everyone for the replies - it all helps.

    edit: and we do all know we're very lucky to be inheriting anything.
  7. misspent

    misspent New commenter

    I have dealt with trusts in the Pru but have only done so with an IFA working along with my Lawyer. Seemed to have gone OK but I was only at the setting up stage. The Pru were helpful when I contacted them directly with a couple of queries. I would enlist a solicitor to help.

Share This Page