1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Financial concerns about leaving teaching

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Lobbylocks, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Lobbylocks

Lobbylocks New commenter

I have reached that point! I moved to a new school two years ago thinking I needed a change of scenery, but I've realised that actually I've fallen out of love with the whole system.
    I want to leave. I have plans to set up my own business, do some tutoring, examining, would even do supply, but I'm scared to take final step because of money. My current role and responsibility is a well paid one, I'm the main breadwinner and I'm currently 2 years into a 5 year IVA. I really want to do this, I've completely had enough and my physical and mental health had really suffered this year.
    Can anyone offer any advice on how to make this work or taking that last step?
    Thanks

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Is there any way you can perhaps reduce your hours whilst you are transitioning to other roles? At least then you would have some guaranteed income as you try to build up your business etc.
    Also, look at your finances in minute detail. What can you do without, reduce etc and what do you need to prioritise so you can determine minimum income needed.