1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Finance question for student teacher who is also a parent!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by kazzmaniandevil, Mar 2, 2012.

  1. kazzmaniandevil

    kazzmaniandevil New commenter

    That's me!! I was about to write what u have!!

    Good luck with student finance !
  2. Also, try not to worry too much, I've been under the scheme for 4 years, (degree then PGCE) and not had too many problems with them.
  3. EcoLady

    EcoLady New commenter

    I'm sorry that I can't help re tax credits & student finance childcare as my husband earns just above the threshold.
    But, did you know that your husband, as the wage earner and tax payer, could check whether his employer offers one of the childcare voucher salary sacrifice schemes?These can take more than £200 every month from his wages before tax and NI deductions and pay them to him as a voucher to pay the childcare provider. He then pays tax and NI just on the remaining salary. It is well worth doing. Both he & his employer save money. There are many schemes but one examples is Busy Bees
    You may also find that you can use your university's own childcare / playscheme in the school holidays for which you may well get a vastly discounted price. My own children can both go to my Uni's playscheme for the price that it would have cost me to send just one of them to their school's scheme.
    Another bonus is to remember to claim for a single person's discount on your Council Tax because you won't count!
    Good luck :)
  4. thanks very much for the replies, Im slowing ploughing through the student finance application. Will look into the Busy Bees scheme too thanks.
  5. I personally receive 85% of my childcare fees in the form of a grant. It does require continuous form filling in order to provide evidence of payments three times per year. Be sure to research other opportunties for loans/grants as depending on circumstances, you may be entitled to the Parents Learning Allowance.
    Best of luck.
  6. nernstlaw

    nernstlaw New commenter

    me too.... other half works full time ~30k only have one child, 1 year old now (started PGCE when she was 6 months) student loans kept saying we were eligible for grant, sent all documents which they asked for and lost! after 4 months they said we were ineligible, now got an 8 grand child care bill and no grant or tax credits....apparently he earns too much for that too!

Share This Page