1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finance Committees and Staff Governors

Discussion in 'Governors' started by jgreen40frog, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hi, at the school where I have recently become chair of govs, we are looking at restructuring our set up to become more effective. One thought has been that all Governors become a member of the finance committee. What I would like to know is that apart from wages issues is there any other reason why staff governors could not be members.
    Cheers

2. Hi, at the school where I have recently become chair of govs, we are looking at restructuring our set up to become more effective. One thought has been that all Governors become a member of the finance committee. What I would like to know is that apart from wages issues is there any other reason why staff governors could not be members.
    Cheers

3. If all governors are on the committee is it a committee at all?

4. I can't see the point of setting up a committee with ALL governors sitting on it either. The main idea of a committee is so that members with appropriate skills and knowledge can examine and monitor at a greater depth and then report back to the full GB in a summary form.
    Regarding the second point, any governor can sit on any committee, regardless of designation, but cannot participate in discussion where there is pecuniary interest. That also applies where, for instance, a community or parent governor would benefit from a contract or tender being discussed.

5. revstevew

revstevew New commenter

As has been said, anyone can sit on any body within the Governing Body,however they must excuse themselves from any discussions they are personally involved in. I sit on the staffing committe and have special responsibility for Special Needs within the school, however as one of my own children is a pupil with Special Needs, I tend to report on any issues and then leave the room if it involves my child.
    For a staff governor I would imagine wages, redudancy etc might be an issue in staffing, but it doesn't stop them being involved in any other financial matters, and might have a very useful outlook.