1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finally!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Sep 15, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

2. egyptgirl

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

It will mean there is less fine picking on the *** shelf/ reduced shelf for me to claim!

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Surely working out the difference between a sell by date and a use by date isn't that difficult?
    I am struggling to accept that it will make much difference. Then I think about some of the kids I teach - perhaps there is a point to it all.

5. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Here it's either worded as ' preferably to be used before' or 'optimal use by date'. We don't have display until/sell by but just use by information.
    I wouldn't be confused by that, but I'm sure some people would. It's a bit like here for vaccinations: if they say it's ' not compulsory' many people think that means 'unnecessary'. A doctor recommended the wording was changed from not complusory to ' recommended'. See the subtlety of that?

6. egyptgirl

I would hope that it would make a difference, but who knows? I think time will tell. My Y12 Geography group are doing a module on Food Issues at the moment (hmmm, I wonder why I chose that option for them!) so we're going to have a debate on it in class on Monday so I'll let you know what they think!

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I think it should have a noticeable effect. Most people are confused by the idea of sell by, best before and use by. I, like most on here, pay scant attention to them and use my senses regardless, other than seafood, but seafood that's not spankingly fresh isn't especially nice to eat anyway.
    I think it all depends on whether there is an increase in 'best before' dates as a result.
    Fruit and veg shouldn't have any such dates on them., You don't get dates when you by an apple from a greengrocer, so why do we need them on supermarket fruit? If you need a date to tell you that whether or not you can eat an apple, you possibly need sectioning.

8. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

It probably will make a difference but it is important that supermarkets don't use it as an excuse to flog food that is past its peak at full price to unsuspecting people (thus increasing their profits further).
    It also means I won't be able to get anywhere as much good stuff in the reduced sections anymore - I live in their reduced meat aisle where I can keep my freezer topped up with lovely organic and free range meat at a fraction of the cost...