1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finally Taking the plunge

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by 50sman, Oct 27, 2017.

1. 50sman

50sman Occasional commenter

As some of you may know I have taken arb and am now working 3 days a week. However I it is now time to call it a day and do occasional supply. Money will be tight and lump sum will probably go before 66th birthday (currently 58 and a half). The truth is however that after 35 years I need a rest - it is no longer the job it was and even three days is proving too much. In some ways it is harder than five days because when I get into work I find all my stuff has disappeared.

2. Xericist

Xericist New commenter

Good for you. I know many who wavered wondering if it was the best step to take - but I know of none who regretted leaving. I am sure you will find it was the best option. But beware, you'll be busier being retired....

3. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Occasional commenter

After 35 years, if you worked full time and have no mortgage, you should have enough to live well. Look out for employment agency work once you've had a rest and time for reflection. There are lots of temporary / part-time non-teaching jobs as well as exam marking and invigilation. As a sole income earner with 3 kids and a mortgage, now the chicks have flown and the mortgage paid, I can honestly say that I can't remember when I have had so much disposable income.And, let's face it, teaching conditions are terrible in many places and incredibly stressful at times.What price re-imagining your life and leaving the grind behind?

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

50sman, going down to three days a week and then supply is a bit like starting at the shallow end, so that you get used to the water! Yours truly will be jumping into the deep end on Friday, 15th June, 2018, and that will be my last-ever day of teaching. I do not have any plans for supply work or anything like that, but clear-outs of the loft and the garage are planned and lots of gardening, as well as walking el Camino de Compostella and plenty of holidays in Greece and Turkey. Our house in Bulgaria is in the mountains north of Sofia, so maybe my wife and I will learn to ski!

Teaching conditions in the UK are horrendous, I am sure, but for the last five years I have had classes of sweet, respectful and hard-working Chinese students. But enough is enough and there are other things that I would like to do.

5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Time to plan a few long holidays....

6. seasoned

seasoned New commenter

Congratulations.....!!!! I'm taking early retirement at Christmas at the age of 58 with 36 years service. I'm particularly looking forward to taking some ' time out' to reflect on things and enjoy the next chapter of my life. I've enjoyed my teaching career but recently my passion has disappeared; I have decided that I will never teach again but I'm really excited about what the future holds......good times..!!!!!

7. the hippo

Mrs Hippo keeps complaining about my expanding waistline, but really I cannot be bothered to do much exercise after a long day in the classroom. Perhaps retirement will lead to a return of my svelte figure.

FrankWolley and PeterQuint like this.
  8. tolkien28

tolkien28 New commenter

Congratulations on reaching your decision, i,m sure you are feeling a sense of relief. Everyone on this forum knows that once you have those thoughts in your head, its probably the best thing for your health and peace of mind to act on them. Good luck.

jlishman2158 and eljefeb90 like this.
  9. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

Would I be able to go at 52 and a half?

10. jonnymarr

jonnymarr New commenter

#fudgeface - only if you can fund the gap between 52 and a half and getting your teachers' pension at 55 or later & then cope with the actuarial reduction - see tps website. In effect at 52/53 you'd not be retiring, just 'quitting'. The way things are going I might just do that when I hit 53!

11. 50sman

50sman Occasional commenter

I was first made redundant at 53 years old in August 2012. I signed up to up supply and got a job at a supermarket on night shift. By December I was back in teaching doing a full time cover until July the following year. The following September I started a permanent job .

My point is - you never know what is around the corner. John Lennon once said “life is what happens to you when you are busy making plans”

As far as I know no teacher on their death bed has ever wished they had spent more time filling in a tracking spreadsheet!

jlishman2158 and frangipani123 like this.
  12. pennyh.

pennyh. Occasional commenter

Enjoy the freedom of choice, looked at frost this morning and thought yippee I'm not defrosting the car for work. I have had a lovely walk instead. A much better form of blue sky thinking!

13. the hippo

I keep researching how to cultivate weird and wonderful vegetables. Yes, retirement is overdue!

14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I have a part time job where I can often walk up to 10 miles between jobs. The weight is falling off and I will soon need to go out and buy some new trousers.

Good luck with your retirement

15. the hippo

Our villa in Bulgaria is next door to an abandoned orchard. Maybe one of my main occupations during retirement will be making cider (and recovering from the hangovers...)