1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

finally snapped

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by vickyrae1970, Mar 17, 2012.

1. vickyrae1970

vickyrae1970 New commenter

i was signed off with stress / anxiety yesterday . this post is just to vent steam about what has reduced me to a wreck :
    - shifting deadlines - you do something and then told it is not needed
    - losing ppa time
    - constant character assassination in management meetings , along the lines of 'it has been noticed ....
    - an expectation of teaching extra lessons after school for students who are not meeting expectations
    - the suggestion that one should be working longer hours at school
    - smt not recognising that behaviour is a problem
    - an expectation that all work is marked up to date despite having planning , ca's to mark etc
    i could go on but i would give my identity away . as a teacher of 10 years or more , i know i a not perfect by any measure but i have got to the point that whatever i do is never adequate . i am pretty much at the point where i am prepared to walk away from the job for good . i really enjoy teaching but i have come to the conclusion that all the stress is not worth it .

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I don't think you'll give your identity away. Sadly this is all too common, particularly in schools where the leadership or management or whatever it calls itself is far from adequate. They're trying transfer to you their many and various shortcomings.

3. You have my sympathies. You are not at all alone. Focus on your health and wellbeing - eat- sleep - exercise. You'll recover soon and have a handle on it. best wishes.

4. Boogum

Boogum New commenter

contact the teachers support network NOW. They are great and really do understand.
    http://teachersupport.info/
    telephone: England - 08000 562 561 Wales - 08000 855 088

They have some good information and fact sheets too.

5. casper

casper New commenter

OH are there to support you and to tell the school how they can support you on your return. I have found them helpful and supportive in the past.

6. When you go to OH, ask to have a copy of the referral made. I went to OH once and the referral was extraordinary. The OH doctor discounted it and gave me a copy. He said the school would not want him to show it to me, but he felt that I should see it. It was really the school that had issues and I was a scapegoat.
    I would also recommend that you try to get oH to put in writing a suggestion that you should get a referral back to them at a later stage. There's no harm in asking. This would allow you to report back to OH if recommended support is not properly given.

7. vickyrae1970

thanks for the advice i will take it up . but the letter was worded along the lines of ' to investigate absence issues that are unclear ' or something to that effect ; i have made the issues clear to my school and i have a sick note . this i will explain to the union on monday .i am also worried that a member of smt will be there . i am just very jumpy at the moment . sorry to sound a bit erratic .

8. Boogum

Boogum New commenter

You are allowed to feel jumpy and sound eratic Bubbles. You have been abused. You are ill. You are not the guilty party here.
    Do get a friend, preferably a professional one such as a (good) union rep or someone recomended by the teachers suport agency to go with you. Have you felt up to contacting them yet? They are good. They are also dealing with very similar problems a lot so have the expertise. They will be on your side.

Look after yourself. I'm sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

9. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

You need to take as much time off as you need. Then hopefully you can go back stronger and also you can discuss with your SMT your concerns. They have an obligation to look after your well being.

10. vickyrae1970

i have contacted teachers support and i am awaiting a reply . thankyou for your supportive words . i will take it one step at a time , but i am seriously considering leaving the job at the moment and pursuing something else - it just doesn't seem worth the heartache anymore .

11. I agree with you.

12. vickyrae1970

i just want a clean break - i think that's the best thing for me . i think if i go back i will just get dragged under again . any advice on how to do this would be gratefully received .

13. Hello

Get as much support as you can.

Sometimes the headache is simply not worth it. Think of the long term as your health will suffer if you carry on getting so stressed out.

Seems to me that you have very poor management...

14. vickyrae1970

poor management indeed - there answers are always directed time or behaviour for learning ! had a good day today in the main ; it might be because i am not at work or doing work . going to talk to my union tomorrow and get some advice .

15. laydeedah

laydeedah New commenter

You are not alone. I am flabbergasted at the amount of teachers on here posting about being treated so badly they have been signed off by the doctor. I am signed off for the foreseeable because of the list that you detailed in your post! I thought I was reading my own complaint then! Ha ha!

I feel so anxious, but I realise that I'm doing the right thing and that has given me strength to carry on. Health really is the most important thing. My father had been very ill and I felt unable (with the other pressures at school) to get up in front of the governing body and present an action plan. I went to a meeting to discuss the action plan, explained to the Head that I felt stressed then went straight to the doctors. This is the second time I've been off this year. Schools need to realise that they are breaking the law by not safeguarding employees against stress. It is part of legislation now. 32 and a half hours is our directed time. Don't walk away. I love teaching. Go on supply. That is what I intend to do. Take care of yourself and forget everyone else. x

16. Snap! I was bullied and scapegoated in my first post, and worked really hard to get another one, only to end up with mental illness from a lot of the reasons you stated in your OP. I was encouraged to think that getting a fresh start like that would be great and I would be fine after that, but it was much the same as my first post. Poor working conditions are everywhere.

17. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

My point is that schools don't just find out one day that they're in special measures. They are (mis)led there by a combination of all the things that are on these forums, inadequacy, incompetence and a blame culture being just some of them. And I'm not referring to the people who spend their days in the classrooms working with the pupils.

18. @15 'They have an obligation to look after your well being.'
    Yes, but they won't. I spent many, many years doing this for my colleagues and pupils, but with no-one doing it for me.

19. vickyrae1970

oh doctor was lovely .recommended a complete break from work for 2-3 months . still thinking about leaving the job as its not getting any better .

20. laydeedah

laydeedah New commenter

Yay! That's good news. :)