1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finally...it's working :-)

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by j_pink, Jan 18, 2012.

1. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

<font size="4">For the last two
    years I have been training/completing my NQT year and struggled with some awful
    behaviour, ranging from swearing in my face to interrupting me every 3 seconds.
    I thought it would be nice to celebrate (my having achieved a feeling of enlightenment)
    with a summary of what went right. Most of the advice I got actually came from
    this forum, Sue Cawley and some good observations of brilliant 'real' teachers.</font>

<font size="4">I have trained in two schools: both national challenge, one
    recently became special measures.</font>

<font size="4">The main behaviour problems were: constant interruptions, lateness
    to lesson, chewing in class, bullying and poor inter-social skills, disengaged
    kids due to some repetitive lessons or changing of teachers (many supply
    staff), no homework being set therefore not valuing homework, lack of respect
    for the teacher's space (desk, board, resources), poor listening skills, lack
    of follow-through from previous teachers.</font>

<font size="4">Once I had gathered the 'list' of problems I started thinking of
    the reasons behind a lot of the behaviour. Yes, some of it was down to plain
    laziness or bad attitude - but only a small percentage. Here's where the
    changes came...</font>

<font size="4">Abandoning the normal lesson - an entire lesson on behaviour expectations.
    Followed by... </font>

<font size="4">Several lessons where I added a little demonstration (before an
    activity) on how to respect each other and the teacher's space.</font>

<font size="4">10 minutes teacher time - no interruptions for the start of lessons
    so we can get started.</font>

<font size="4">Modelling exactly what good behaviour looks like (with a sense of
    humour).</font>

<font size="4">Smiling and greeting kids in the corridor; acknowledging they're
    there.</font>

<font size="4">Following the (3 strikes) behaviour policy with no exceptions.</font>

<font size="4">Phoning parents for repeat offenders or ringleaders THEN having a
    one-to-one chat with that child afterwards adding some praise and expectations
    for the future.</font>

<font size="4">Posting books home (with lack of work evident).</font>

<font size="4">Seating plans - often with responsibilities for some kids.</font>

<font size="4">Suck and see...allowing group work to take place THEN evaluating
    how they did (use of video cams helped kids to really see what they were
    like/loudness of voices!!)</font>

<font size="4">Passing a bin around the room at the start of lessons for a
    "gum amnesty"</font>

<font size="4">I'm really delighted that I still got to be 'me' and didn't have
    to turn into some evil witch - I think it's important to maintain a sense of
    humour and a tone that shows all your classes that actually you do enjoy
    teaching and you are pleased to see them each day.</font>

<font size="4">I hope some of this helps.</font>

2. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

Gosh, sorry for HUGE font!

3. Now that is something I am going to try!
    Pleased it all worked for you!
    Jaime

4. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

Sounds likeyou really deserve the improved behaviour that you're getting. Congratulations.

5. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Some excellent ideas here. Taking ownership of your systems is always useful but the key is to be consistent. I used the gum amnesty to great effect; any gum after this point will be consequenced etc. Ifound that if anyone WAS caught after, the rest of the kids had no sympathy and comments like, 'Well, you were told', 'Don't bother arguing, you had a chance'. Getting the kids onside-even if they are full of self rightous indignation X 10 will pay dividends.
    Continued good luck!![​IMG]