1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finally got an interview - now, what do I wear....?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rugby_gal06, Jul 14, 2011.

1. 26 applications after my last interview, I have finally secured another one! [​IMG]
    I have been looking at various forum posts that mainly suggest suits. I am thinking about this, but having checked the weather for my interview date, it is going to be very hot [​IMG] and the last thing I want to do is melt (My suit is a winter one!!)
    The alternative is smart trousers, shoes and shirt - smarter than what I normally wear in school this weather!! Would this be acceptable, or should I stick with the suit and hope that I don't melt? Sadly, I can't afford to go out and buy anything new. This is for a primary post.
    Any advice?

2. Hi! Well done on getting an interview :D. I know the feeling, as after a similar amount of applications and 14 months after my last interview I had another one today (also in primary).
    I too was worried about wearing a suit as the school seemed to have a fairly casual dress code but I didn't want to come across as too casual. Also the weather has been quite hot today too.
    Anyway in the end I decided that the suit was proabably my best option as it gave the right impression. So I chose a plain white t-shirt to go with the suit and wore the jacket into the school before taking it off. Even without the jacket the combination looked smart and I was comfortable which is something that I feel is important too....feel comfortable and you'll feel confident! For that reason I think the best thing to do is find an outfit you feel comfortable in and just go with that.

Good Luck!!!
    Rosie

3. I'm primary, too. For my first few interviews I went very smart - black trousers, smart, fitted shirts etc. There were so many other factors in play (e.g the stupid answers I gave) but I felt uncomfortable all day - and I noticed other candidates wearing really quite casual clothes. So since then, I have taken to wearing dresses. I mean smart dresses - e.g. today I wore a purple floral knee-length shift dress. It's a dress I'd wear to the pub or out for dinner and I felt good in it. I wouldn't buy owt new, just have a look at what you have. Incidentally, since I started wearing pretty dresses and stuff, I have done much better. At my last interview I came second (and the Head said they bickered about me and the other candidate until 8pm!) and today I taught an observed lesson and have been invited back in tomorrow. When I think I'm going to wear... a black and white polka dot skirt that comes to my knees and is kind-of floaty in layers - a little rah-rah. And a top, obvs.
    Okay, right, I think: wear the trousers from your suit but but them with a pretty top - a going-out top you feel good in. Wear a pretty cardi as well. You're smart but you're in nice clothes and it shows a bit of personality. Good luck! xx

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'd go with 'something in which you feel comfortable' too!
    So a suit with a t-shirt for teaching & jacket for formal interview is a good choice or a dress with a jacket for interview.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just one word of warning here.
    I have seen too many young ladies turn up at interviews looking as though they were off to the disco. I'm sure this is not what Lillybett meant, but just in case someone else misinterprets this . . .
    Remember, your aim is to look professional, not to look attractive.
    Well done for getting that interview! I'm sure I don't need to remind you to read the Interview clickables in the Welcome thread.
    Very, very best of luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.