1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finally got a booking :) In Year 6!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by modgepodge, Nov 5, 2011.

1. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

So, I finally have a supply booking through my agency! Did 2 days in R/1/2 last term which was ok, but now I've got a day booked in Year 6. Normally I love upper KS2, and I did one of my placements in Y6 and loved it, but having read a few bits on here it seems they can be a bit of a nightmare for supply teachers.
    Things I've picked up: be firm, carry through on sanctions, set out expectations at the beginning of the day.
    There should be work left but I want to take some stuff with me just in case. I've downloaded the "supply pack" from the TES, but any other suggestions very welcome! Even any books anyone can recommend?
    And please, no horror stories about Y6 supply....unless you're going to tell me how to deal with them :p

2. modgepodge

So, I finally have a supply booking through my agency! Did 2 days in R/1/2 last term which was ok, but now I've got a day booked in Year 6. Normally I love upper KS2, and I did one of my placements in Y6 and loved it, but having read a few bits on here it seems they can be a bit of a nightmare for supply teachers.
    Things I've picked up: be firm, carry through on sanctions, set out expectations at the beginning of the day.
    There should be work left but I want to take some stuff with me just in case. I've downloaded the "supply pack" from the TES, but any other suggestions very welcome! Even any books anyone can recommend?
    And please, no horror stories about Y6 supply....unless you're going to tell me how to deal with them :p

3. I have no resources to suggest but would just like to say, that, as an early years teacher who doesn't reckon I'm much cop with KS2, I have had some delightful upper KS2 classes (better behaved than reception class).

4. I'm early years/ks1 trained and most of my supply this term has been in KS2. I just find that I have to be extra, extra firm and come across as being miserable (which I find really hard). However, they get the work done. The only thing I find hard is having a firm, loud voice. I'm so used to dealing with the younger ones that my KS1 teaching voice just doesn't cut it in Y6. I am practising but at the end of the week my voice is raw and struggling!!
    Good luck and enjoy it.

5. Agree with all of the above. Definitely be firm from the word go, have activities and games ready to keep them occupied and bribery works quite well! I have raffle tickets and a prize box which I tend to use for KS2.
    Good luck x

6. I prefer KS2 and my day in y6 before half term has landed me a full week if afternoons til Xmas and possibly summer as the 2 support assistants reported back that they liked me. They are great as you can reason with them and have a good banter. My day was tricky as planning was left but impossible due to weather so I took them out to teach them some playground singing games when the sun came out later. Many y6 kids are buddies on the yard to younger ones so taught them younger games to then teach their little ones another day. On my return this term they asked if they could sing one if the songs again so had remembered it all. If you see my thread saying singing on supply then there is a link ti resources and an article I wrote which may help.

I did have a nightmare Y6 before the summer but survived. I found names in the board for misbehaviour worked and gave them a chance to redeem themselves before home time. Y regular afternoons include 2 afternoons in js1 which I find really tough but do far enjoying.

Enjoy

7. I love teaching Year 6 but agree that you need to go in firmly. However, also make sure that you're also fair, that is one thing that really matters at this age.

8. modgepodge

Thanks for the advice everyone - it went really well. Lovely school and lovely class, no behaviour problems really apart from the normal chattiness, so all good :) TA was lovely, and commented at break that I'd done really well, so fingers crossed she reports back good things!
    So much for "work is planned for you" though - turned up to a maths plan, a note saying "literacy - please do a lesson on biographies" and nothing for the afternoon! Did the maths first, spent break planning something for literacy and then did music in the afternoon, linked to their topic. Kids seemed to enjoy it and I was pleased with their literacy work especially so hopefully it will impress :)

9. roseangel, I find the being fair comment tricky because people's perceptions of fair is so different. I find children's preception of what is fair very different to mine. I am unsure what is counted as 'fair' for year 6 too.
    For example, I asked one child to move tables during quiet reading because the boys were all squashed together and he wasn't sitting in the right place. He said he wanted to sit there because he gets distracted (which is probably true given the boys on the table I asked him to move to) But I still asked him to move. He moaned and said that's unfair! Is it?
    Again, I took a magazine off another child as although he wasn't being too bad he was drawing on his magazine with a black maker pen and not reading a reading book like I'd asked. He had several warnings, then pretended to get a book but carried on reading his magazine on his lap. Although he wasn't messing around he wasn't doing what I'd asked. He then complained about it to the teacher in front of me. Is that fair?
    I tried to reason with another boy who was pointed out as being challenging by the teacher and I know was tricky for the previous supply teacher. He was being fairly silly during painting clay models, taking his shoes off, putting loads of paint in the pots, putting loads of water on his model etc so I spoke to him several times and in the end he had a warning. In the end he calmed down during that session and was manageable as I sat with him, giving him lots of advice on his model and telling him it wasn't rubbish when he kept saying it was. But during reading he was silly again. I tried to reason with him and say I've been fair to him etc and why, explaining the reasons outlined above. The response I got was a grumpy how have you been fair to me and a comment about how he behaves for his teacher because he actually like her.
    So you see, people's perceptions, especially children's of what is fair is very different.