1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finally getting value for money?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, May 24, 2019.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

After a lifetime of pretty good health today I needed to see my doctor. He suspects that my recent shortness of breath may be down to the onset of angina. So today I got my first free prescription since I was a child and have been booked in for a series of tests and investigations to try and establish exactly what might be wrong with me!

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I hope your health will be OK, @blazer.
    However, my Mum was diagnosed with angina well over fifteen years ago, and considered it a death sentence. Not so much - she's still going strong and approaching her late eighties now.
    Good luck.

les25paul, Dragonlady30 and blazer like this.
  3. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Get well while we have an NHS, blazer!

blazer and FrankWolley like this.
  4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Are you back from the journeying abroad then?

Keep an eye on shortness of breath though.... if it doesn't come and go... or worsens get checked out at A & E....mine was a pulmonary embolism !

blazer likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My Dad was like that - he didn't want to bother the Doctor unless he felt he really had to.

A few years ago he started getting really bad headaches and mood swings and some problems with one of his eyes.

He went to the Doctor and she immediately sent him for tests.

It turned out he had a massive brain tumour - fortunately it was benign but it was pressing down on his eye socket and affecting his pituitary gland. It needed immediate surgery.

Two weeks later he was in Hull Royal Infirmary being operated on by a very skilled Egyptian surgeon with a terrible sense of humour. He removed all of the cancer

It was touch and go for a while but Dad pulled through and is still alive and kicking.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

As we all get older, we do need to have things checked out and learn not to 'grin & bear it'... Luckily the NHS still works extremely well for most of us, almost all the time... Fingers crossed this works out well for you.

blazer likes this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

blazer likes this.
  9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yes, got back yesterday. Phone GP at 8.30 this morning, expleined symptoms to receptionist, she said can you get here for 9? I said yes and got there at 10 to. In with doc at 8.55 and a 30 minute consultation. very impressed so far.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Mr.jubilee's shortness of breath last year was Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis.
    ake sure that you have achest X-ray as one of the first set of tests.

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The tumour cannot have been cancer and benign, surely?

Dunteachin likes this.
  12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Best wishes, blazer.

We are getting our money's worth, at the moment.

bombaysapphire and blazer like this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I hope this additional spending by the NHS isn't going to further put off my already long delayed MRI scan.

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Got my money's worth today!
    A bedtime last night my breathing and chest were so bad that we decided a trip to A&E was needed. We arrived at 11pm. Just before midnight they gave me an ECG and immediately took me into the 'major' unit. Over the next 8 hours I underwent a physical exam, chest X ray, CT scan, Blood tests, another physical exam. 4 separate blood pressure/Temp/Heartrate check and a pair of injections of blood thinners. Finally after the final exam I was sent upstairs to the department that decides whether I need admitting or not. There then followed another physical exam and another blood test, the results of which shown that there may be some damage to my heart muscle but that I have no blood clots. Before leaving the consultant had written me scripts for Beta blockers, water tablets (to reduce my lower limb swelling) and blood thinners plus arranging an appointment with a cardiologist once the tablets have had a chance to work. It seems I have developed an erratic heartbeat and that my heart may need to be stopped and restarted to reset its natural pacemaker.
    Now Mrs B has put me on a diet and hidden all the booze!:(

15. gainly

gainly Established commenter

Despite all the criticism, the NHS does generally respond very well when it's a real emergency.

Good luck, I hope it all goes well.

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Wishing you well, Blazer.

blazer likes this.
  17. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

My wife finally got her walking stick replaced to. It has taken a few months. Apparently her old one was dangerous, but no one told her until today

blazer likes this.
  18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Good news is that the barrage of tests also revealed that my liver function is good (that was a surprise) as is my kidney function. There is also no indication of diabetes. Pulse rate slightly elevated but blood pressure was spot on for my age.

nizebaby and nomad like this.
  19. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I'm glad tests look ok and best wishes for any further medical shenanigans needed, Blazer.

blazer likes this.
  20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You got all that and I'm still waiting for one scan. The world is ill divid.