1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finally an interview...usual story though

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Oldfashioned, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

I'm an experienced teacher but I only want a teaching job so I have struggled to even get interviews. Anyway, I finally got an interview, prepped a lesson, put on a suit and lost a day's pay (long term supply). I walked into the school to be met by fellow candidates, another older teacher like me, an NQT and an NQT who had been working at the school on supply. Said NQT was very laid back, casual and relaxed.

I did a great lesson and a great interview. The already known NQT got the job. I got fabulous feedback, which is always worthless and lost a whole chunk of pay. :(

Hey ho

2. splinters

splinters Established commenter

From my experience, that is something you may well have to get used to. I have only seen one job this year where they stated they wanted experience and would not consider NQT's...sadly it was too far to travel.

ultimatedingbat and agathamorse like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I sympathise.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  4. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

I am so sorry, I really hope you find something soon. Keep posting and have a good chat about it, you will feel better. Was the feedback helpful?

5. Oldfashioned

Feedback was all positive but it's hardly of use anyway because how one school do recruitment can be very different to others.

6. dalersmith

dalersmith New commenter

I must admit I have had similar experiences of late, twice in the last month I have got to final two for interview, twice now I have lost out to the NQT. Both times I have had very positive feedback as far as the taught lesson was concerned. It feels odd to think that the schools recognise me as a good teacher, teaching good lessons, but at the end of it the interview wins.
    Never mind say I, keep plugging away and the job will come. My wife says "everything happens for a reason", and I tend to agree.

ultimatedingbat likes this.
  7. Oldfashioned

Dalersmith- It is odd that your lesson and interview can be considered good but yet you're overlooked. I'm also told things happen for a reason, yet to find out what it is though.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Lunar546

Lunar546 Occasional commenter

I am sorry for your disappointment. However I am an NQT, and although I do now have a job, I missed out on 2 occasions to more experienced candidates. It's not always the NQT who is appointed....

Dangerm00se, Jesmond12 and sabrinakat like this.
  9. thisismrw

thisismrw New commenter

Hi, my first post of any sort on here. My partner and I are both teachers, both over 40, both above MPS4 and we have both had very similar experiences lately.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh that is very disappointing. may well be School is experiencing 'budgetory deficits' so although they were prepared to look at older candidates, should the NQT not fulfil expectation . .
    Theo Griff used to have a lovely tradition of posting flowers and/or chocolates to disappointed Jobseekers. This used to be my contribution.
    [​IMG] Something for you to do with the remainder of that new tissue box you had to buy.;)!

11. bob79

I keep losing out to everybody! My self-esteem is at an all time low

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

take your pick from this basket then @bob79 (Only virtual I'm afraid though.;):()
    [​IMG]

agathamorse, bob79 and sabrinakat like this.
  13. steely1

steely1 New commenter

Try and keep the faith - I know it is easier said than done. I spent close to two years applying for posts, being shortlisted, attending interviews only to be rejected time after time. When I least expected it, I managed - somehow - to get a post only recently. Somewhere out there is a job with your name on it. Persevere - but also take the time to look after yourself in the process.

aayaf24, agathamorse, And100 and 2 others like this.
  14. bob79

I'll go for the choc cherries please @Lara mfl 05 , thank you. Xx

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. bob79

@steely1 thank you for your kind post. It's been a bad day, a few self-indulgent tears have been shed if I'm honest! I will keep going, who knows what's out there but at some point something must have my name on it x

16. Oldfashioned

Some nice, supportive replies on here. Bob79- I know exactly how you feel. I am struggling to even get interviews at the moment.

bob79 likes this.
  17. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Occasional commenter

Cheer up :) Im in your boat too. IT took me until interview 13 as an NQT to get a job

bob79 likes this.
  18. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Aside from the expense, there are a lot of young and inexperienced heads now. I don't just feel sorry for you, but for the children who might well not have the chance to have the best teacher (and that sometimes might actually be the NQT). Sometimes it is best fit-in one of my last interviews I was offered the job as everyone in the dept was novice, so they wanted my experience and as it was a good school with a good head, were prepared to pay for what they thought would be best for the school. Equally in my first job, I was joining an experienced dept, so they probably felt I could bring new blood and they could share their wisdom.

bob79 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. Ne11y

Ne11y New commenter

Don't be disheartened.

First off, a fair few trainees on my course interviewed for schools they were, or had been on, placement with and didn't get the job.

In my area at least, if a school is really, honestly, keen on employing you, they will just offer you the contract.

Think about it: it's a lot cheaper and easier than freeing up time for SLT and other staff, possibly even Governors. They will just offer it to you...unless they hope to find something extra, then they will advertise....

My most telling interview was a school I had worked supply in. The school really liked me - they kept requesting me, even when my week was full of regular commitments - and I got the interview.

When I walked in, there was one other candidate - apparently two more were due to arrive in the afternoon from out of the area. I was dismayed to realise the other candidate was not only a trainee teacher at the school, but a former TA there who was greeted with hugs and "good lucks" all round in the staff room.

Still, went through the motions.

That afternoon I got the call - I hadn't got the job. However, the deputy who had called me, maybe because they liked me so much, was (unusually) honest and offered some reassurances.

They hadn't offered a job to the trainee/former TA either. One of the interviewees from out of the area had offered more of what they were looking for - so it was genuinely the best candidate for the job and as alluded to above, I have seen that happen a few times.

Being a trainee/NQT is NO guarantee. So keep working at it!

20. philozopher

philozopher New commenter

I hear you. In my 40s, MPS5 (for the last 3 years due to supply teaching) and never had a permanent job in teaching. Rarely get interviews, despite numerous job applications, but have always got passed over for an NQT. Giving up teaching now. Lost all the passion for it.
    Good luck to you and hope you find something soon.

JosieWhitehead likes this.