1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Finalists for the Turner Prize

Discussion in 'Personal' started by neddyfonk, Oct 10, 2017.

1. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Just went for a look/see. Before venturing into the gallery I was invited to watch some videos about the 'artists' and what the 'inspirations' were that informs their work. I decided that all works of art should be self explanatory and went in. Volunteers that had been trained to explain the works were at hand. The first gallery had crude woodcuts and a childish silkscreen print, I spoke to a volunteer that informed me that the box+ blue cloth we stood next to ( made by nuns) represented the virgin Mary!. The second gallery had a collection of old plates that had been overpainted with images relating to slavery and a centrepiece of cardboard cut-out figures with childish scraps of newspaper / fabric etc pasted on. The third gallery was a slightly tedious documentary video depicting life in Gaza with some nice footage of workhorses bathing in the sea. The fourth gallery had pictures done in acrylic that were fairly competent, especially if you like pictures in barber shops or leafy abstracts.
    How is it that these 'artists' can get away with poor technique just because they are supposedly expressing themselves and would like us to appreciate the sentiment their 'work' rather than give us something that is aesthetically pleasing to the eye or a tour-de-force of technical ability.

george1963 and sbkrobson like this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Andrea Buettner

Using low media such as woodcuts or home videos, Büttner is interested in the role of the amateur in the production of culture.

http://www.tate.org.uk/press/press-releases/turner-prize-2017-shortlist-announced

The role of the amateur. Home video. Woodcuts.

We have a saw and some chisels and stuff. How hard can it be to get some wood? (Shush!) You can tell from my refreshing naivety* that I'm an amateur.

I can do that! Do I get to share the prize money?

* naivety = ignorance

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ah, but you didn't, as I'm sure Deschamps must've said.

george1963 likes this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I went to the Turner Prize exhibition a few years ago...although I didn't realise it until half an hour after we'd left, when I was castigated by a friend for the small paper cup I'd brought out with me for an outdoor ashtray; apparently I'd nicked it from "the main contender". My conscience was torn between taking it back in with some ashy grub inside and an apology, or selling it on eBay, because if you looked really carefully you could see Jesus in the ashy grub, but also more importantly, because it was a winning cup.

The Turner Prize contenders did not impress me btw. Allotment waste heaps and rusty bicycle dissection.

Dragonlady30 and george1963 like this.
  5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Anyone can produce art of some description, most of us already have... of one sort or another, but to call yourself or refer to yourself as an artist surely requires an element of fairly unique (as is most of us don't have it) skill or talent. Well that is how I always thought about it. Artisans are different aren't they, it implies some sort of useful trade, yet it's all very subjective isn't it? Well so I have been told by one or two artists.

It does baffle me though when an abstract artists tells me their work can be whatever I want it to be and I can see whatever I want to see.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Right that's it, I'm in for next year "Mangleworzle is interested in the role of the non-artist in creating works that are considered high art, in particular his performance pieces entitled "drinking a cup of tea and eating a kit-kat" and "playing with the dog" recorded on a wobbly phone are great enabling works for this talented non-artist".

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

Well, this is where Grayson Perry started, with his crude drawings on pots and in his elaborately girlie dress. 'Go figure', as they say. Emperor's new clothes and tosh, all of it.

8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Whilst I like art, I regularly look at Art and then wonder why I bothered...

I know some very competent artists (there are more than a few on here) but sadly few of them will ever get selected for such awards
    Some are quite pleased by that

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Deschamps?

I'd rather quote from Marcel Duchamp. He of the urinal.

“I force myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste.”

“The creative act is not performed by the artist alone; the spectator brings the work in contact with the external world by deciphering and interpreting its inner qualifications and thus adds his contribution to the creative act."

“I have forced myself to contradict myself in order to avoid conforming to my own taste.”

“I like living, breathing better than working...my art is that of living. Each second, each breath is a work which is inscribed nowhere, which is neither visual nor cerebral, it's a sort of constant euphoria.”

“What I have in mind is that art may be bad, good or indifferent, but, whatever adjective is used, we must call it art, and bad art is still art in the same way that a bad emotion is still an emotion.”

“My idea was to chose an object that wouldn't attract me, either by its beauty or by its ugliness. To find a point of indifference in my looking at it, you see.”

spockup.png

10. george1963

george1963 Occasional commenter

I love art, it helps remind me that the world is a silly place and that bit of colour and texture can make us think and/or feel. I remember seeing a Raschenberg exhibition and one of his pieces amazed me, so much colour. Same thing I guess as hearing someone sing and the hairs stand up/goosebumps etc.

Next thing in the exhibition was two parasols placed horizontally on a map of the globe. I had to laugh. All credit to someone who can make a (very) good living doing what they like. And it beats having to make 6 points of progress a year :) :)

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

QUOTE="grumpydogwoman, post: 12256977, member: 172346"]'d rather quote from Marcel Duchamp. He of the urinal.[/QUOTE]
    Ah, sarky! An intellect bypass on my behalf - shameful!:):)