1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Final Year Trainee

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WilkoT, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Hi there, Ive just joined the forum. Ive been a reader of the forum for a while!

Okay, well Im in my final year of studying to become a Primary School Teacher. Im a male, and have always had an ambition of becoming a headteacher.

I am applying for jobs next year (I understand that it is a difficult time to get a job with all the public sector cuts and what not...). I'm wondering if I need to continue my studies to qualify as a Headteacher? Once I have a job, I obviously intend to teach for a good while, but Im thinking that if Im going to complete any further qualifications, I may aswell do it now whilst Im still young and im into the studying 'groove'.

I hope Im clear!

Regards,
    Wilko

2. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

If you're expecting a useful answer, it might be a good idea to specify what qualifications you currently have (or are studying for), and what you would plan to.

Why do you want to become a Headteacher?

3. Thanks for your reply.

I have A Levels, and will (hopefully) have completed my Primary Education with QTS degree.

I am a male who has enhanced in Science. I have always loved the idea of becoming a headmaster, the idea of working as a leader, and inspiring people, changing themes throughout the school, and generally trying to improve the ethos (in a deprived area), is something that has always appealed to me.

Wilko

4. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Sound reasoning for wanting to be a Head. Overall I'm not sure what qualification you would hope to get to stand you in a better position X years down the road. Good luck with it, whatever you decide.

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Yes there's a head teacher's qualification you need to do, I think before/in the first part of being a head. It's not something you can do now, and it's not a uni thing, you just do it on the job I think. I wouldn't embarrass yourself by asking this in the first couple of years of teaching as people will just think you're a bit mad......! There's a headteacher's forum on here, you could ask on there as people will have a much better idea of how it works, but be prepared for them to tell you you've got a bit of a wait!