1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Final Year (Primary and Early Years)- when can I start teaching?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by sam_haworth, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hiya! I'm on my final block placement for a BEd in Primary (3-7) at Sheffield Hallam Univesity, and complete the placement in March. After this, I need to do my dissertation and have my full degree in June.
    However, as agencies are willing to take on final year students as unqualified teachers and send them into schools, can I, and other final year students, apply for jobs starting on the 3rd May (or other date after Easter) that are suitable for NQTs?
    Many Thanks! :)

2. Hiya! I'm on my final block placement for a BEd in Primary (3-7) at Sheffield Hallam Univesity, and complete the placement in March. After this, I need to do my dissertation and have my full degree in June.
    However, as agencies are willing to take on final year students as unqualified teachers and send them into schools, can I, and other final year students, apply for jobs starting on the 3rd May (or other date after Easter) that are suitable for NQTs?
    Many Thanks! :)

3. You can apply; it depends on the school whether or not they'll want to employ you before you're qualified...why not email the school before applying to check whether they'd consider you?

4. You aren't an NQT until you graduate and get QTS, so they wouldn't be employing you as an NQT, they would employ you as an unqualified teacher. It is up to the school if they would employ you or not. No harm in asking, or just apply - they will see from your application that you arent an NQT yet.
    JSY x

5. Hi there,
    Check when you get recommended for QTS. I started my job on the Monday after my last day at Uni. This was because the uni recommended me for QTS on that day. Although the certificate took about 2 months to arrive, schools can check directly with the GTC to see when you qualified.

Even if you won't be recommended for QTS in time, I would still apply for jobs through agencies. You would definitely get cover supervisor jobs, and many school would employ you as a unqualified teacher - given that you have completed al your training. Make sure you get a letter from your ITT provider saying that they expect you to be awarded QTS this summer, and singing your praises for your observations.