1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Final Placement

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by leo2690, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Just wanted some feedback from otherstudents who have been in my position!
    I'm two weeks into my final placement and really worried about the workload, at the moment i'm only taking 30% teaching which will gradually be pushed up over the coming weeks to 80%. I love working with children, and have good classroom management skills. However, I really really worry about my planning, it takes me a good 2 hours to plan just one lesson at the moment, and when I have done this i never feel like I have planned the correct things.
    My teachers has told me to simply get the objectives for literacy and numeracy off the standard site, however, having been never shown how to do this in uni, i'm not sure if im picking out the right things, if im planning the correct activities or if my differentiation is good enough. It often leaves me frustrated, upset most nights and full of nerves before i go into school the next day. Im currently up at 6am, in school, home for 6 then working through until 11 when i go to bed. At weekends i get up extra early and work solid all day sat and sunday however, there are long periods where I just get upset and frustrated as i'm so confused if im doing things right!

Is this a general feeling, or is teaching perhaps just not for me?
    I'm just terrified that i'm not fullfilling the children's learning potentials and teaching them the wrong things!

2. Just wanted some feedback from otherstudents who have been in my position!
    I'm two weeks into my final placement and really worried about the workload, at the moment i'm only taking 30% teaching which will gradually be pushed up over the coming weeks to 80%. I love working with children, and have good classroom management skills. However, I really really worry about my planning, it takes me a good 2 hours to plan just one lesson at the moment, and when I have done this i never feel like I have planned the correct things.
    My teachers has told me to simply get the objectives for literacy and numeracy off the standard site, however, having been never shown how to do this in uni, i'm not sure if im picking out the right things, if im planning the correct activities or if my differentiation is good enough. It often leaves me frustrated, upset most nights and full of nerves before i go into school the next day. Im currently up at 6am, in school, home for 6 then working through until 11 when i go to bed. At weekends i get up extra early and work solid all day sat and sunday however, there are long periods where I just get upset and frustrated as i'm so confused if im doing things right!

Is this a general feeling, or is teaching perhaps just not for me?
    I'm just terrified that i'm not fullfilling the children's learning potentials and teaching them the wrong things!

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

The more teaching you do, the better you'll get at planning more quickly and effectively. What is it about the planning that makes it take so long - are you struggling to think of ideas, to get it down on paper, etc? Are you happy with how you teach your lessons? I may be able to write something more helpful when you've answered those questions but, for now, I'd recommend sitting down tomorrow with your teacher, after one of your lessons, with your plan, and asking the teacher to look over it with you. It sounds like you just need some reassurance that you're doing the right thing or to know for sure where you're going wrong so you can make steps to correct it. Hopefully your teacher is a decent type and will have a few minutes to spare for you.

4. Sport22

Sport22 New commenter

Definatley ask for help if you need it! That is what your mentor is there for. Last week i felt exaclty the same way you describe, but felt so much better having spoke to my mentor! Your planning should get quicker with time, and if your lesson doesn't go to plan just learn from the feedback you receive! I'm sure you're fullfilling the children's learning potentials, if you weren't i'm sure your observor would have told you! Just keep positive, keep going, and find some time to relax!! [​IMG]