1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Final Placement Graded 4

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by PersianCatLady, Jun 26, 2019.

1. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

Hi,

Just a quick question, if someone is told after their placement has ended that they were given a 4 after getting mostly 2s and some 2/3s in observations, does that mean that they have failed the placement?

Also, isn't it wrong to not say anything about the failure until it is too late to do anything about it?

2. TheOneTonBun

TheOneTonBun New commenter

Yes it is wrong. You should be given fair warning and put on enhanced support.

3. fluffy81212

fluffy81212 New commenter

It is wrong can you show you weren't given any previous indications if so your training provider should be able to liaise and work out what has gone wrong. It doesn't mean you failed necessarily because there is a lot to take into account and because there may even be additional options like a final placement to show what you can do. The thing is that it is really only your training provider that can answer those questions.

4. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

As far as I remember, QTS is pass/fail, not graded against Ofsted standards. Ofsted don't grade individual lessons or teachers, so using their gradings for student teachers is absolute nonsense.

But then, maybe I was trained at an institution that wasn't insane. You'd have to ask your training provider what their nonsense means in context.

PGCE_tutor and agathamorse like this.
  5. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

The ITT provider does grade you and the information is sent to the DfE in order to help monitor the course quality. You can ask the provider to tell you your grade, if they do not do so otherwise. I did and I was informed I was grade 2. How they arrive at the grade is another matter.

6. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

Thanks for the replies everybody.

To be honest the entire situation is laughable and I must admit I got the shock of my life to see that my mentor had given me a 4 for my placement.

I would love to go into a lot more detail so I can tell you all how ridiculous it is but I can't as I can't imagine too many other people have had the same issues this year.

As I mentioned in my initial post, I was graded 2 / Good for most of my observations and 2/3 for one or two as well.

My evidence folders were given a 2 / Good when they were marked so I was awarded a 3 / Satisfactory overall.

I am a little bit disappointed but seeing as my mentor clearly thought I deserved to fail, I suppose I should be grateful for passing at all.

At the end of the day, QTS is either pass or fail so really it doesn't matter at all.