1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Final Placement - and I'm failing... help please?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mrsrutherford2012, Feb 24, 2012.

1. I'm on my final PGCE Primary school placement and it's all going wrong.

I have a Year 5 class, and have been with them now for 8 weeks - I have 4 weeks left. I had a 2 weeks before Christmas of observing them - however it was Christmas and there wasn't any real lessons going on - so I didn't see anything useful.

In January I started teachign them and they misbehave a lot for me. Despite using various techniques such as raffle tickets, lollipop sticks, traffic light warnings and a noiseometer, I am still having horrendous problems.

The behaviour is so much of a problem that the Headteacher is now involved and it has been commented that the class are misbehaving generally now in the school.

The problem tends to be a child talking or pulling a face at another child and then I speak to them or warrn them - but rather than trying to concentrate on bettering their behaviour, they start getting upset and "sulking" for want of a better word. It is not hte whole class, I would say it's about 6 children. It does affect he class though because I cannot carry on explaining as there is talking so i need to make sure the talking stops before carrying on.

I feel pretty alone as I'm an open Univresity style PGCE student. My mentor has tried her best but we have very different teaching styles and therefore she is at a loss as she has never had a problem with behaviour before.
    Any advice would be great as I came back adfter half term being very positive and today I feel so sad and siheartened and very, very worried that I will fail this course and unltimately won't become a teacher.

2. Have you tried a behaviour seating plan instead of the usual attainment level seating plans? This along with placing yourself and/or any adult you may have may help. I've not used this but I have some teachers who do and it works for them.

3. Thank you for your reply. Yes, I've tried that but it isn't working. I've tried putting the "naughty" children with the good children but I'm still having problems. For example if I tell child A off, Child B - who might be across the room will snicker and then Child A will say "There's no need to laugh at me.." etc. and if I tell them both to be quiet and get on with their work, then another child will start snickering.

In certain subjects, such as Maths and Literacy, the class teacher wants them to stay in their given seats - which means that some of the naughty children are sitting together - so this causes problems.

4. Hi, it sounds like you are having a really horrid time. I too work in Year 5 and am on the GTP. I have a similar small element of disruptive children who can throw the whole class out. One thing I have done which has worked it to have a mystery child envelope every day. In the envelope is the name of a child and only me and the classroom assistant know who it is. The child is not and should not necessarily be a disruptive child every time. During the day monitor the behaviour of that child as inconspicuously as possible and get other adults to do the same. If at the end of the day you have observed more good than bad (needs to be at least 70/30) then that child gets a grand ticket. New child every day, at the end of the week all of the grand tickets are put in a box and one is drawn. A prize is given (this can be something they can take home or a special pass for the next week e.g. able to sit on a cushioned seat/ first in line for lunch, it will depend on what does it for your children!!!.

Because the children do not know who is being watched it tends to decrease the low level behaviours that can cause most disruption. A child who does not get their ticket needs to be told why in order that they will be able to in the future. Another good point to this method is that because it is the adult who is judging the behaviour you can differentiate expectations according to the child.

Hope that helps.

5. Maybe if something doesnt work straight away, they may need time to see the consequences. If you traffic lights are a warning system then they may need to get consequences a couple of times before they decide they dont like it. You might need to try things for longer.
    Mine like table points and marbles in the jar for a treat. If one person misbehaves I say that due to one persons behvaiour (not mentioning who) everyone has got 9 marbles instead of 10. The other children do not snicker as they have also lost out. I know a concern is that the children may target that child, but the only time I have seen this is when a child said the other- 'stop talking or we'll all lost a marble'.
    I would say pick 2/3 techniques and stick to them, even if they dont work at first. Why not ask to observe other teachers so you can pick up a range of techniques, particularly if there is someone with the same behaviour management style as yourself.
    Oh and dont forget proximity praise. If a naughty child is talking then praise the child next to him for sitting so nicely- would they like to be first in the line. No snickering and the child will probably be quiet to try and get a reward.

6. amyliv88

amyliv88 New commenter

What we did at one school is have a tick chart, before lunch and end of day we gathered all children and adults in classroom together and went through class list. Those that had been well behaved got a tick, those that hadn't a cross. By the end of the week we counted up each child's amount of ticks, if they had enough they got golden time, if they didn't they didn't get golden time. The first week lots of children didn't get enough but when they got a chance to see the activities they could be doing they soon changed their behaviour.
    I took the first reply to mean seat children well behaved to not well behaved in order so all children who aren't well behaved sit together, risky, but at least you'll be able to focus on them all together.