1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Final observation rocket making lesson - ideas v much appreciated :)

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by katybrighton, Jul 10, 2011.

1. in nursery we take small groups for adult led activities whilst the others are doing free flow, the observation is for 30 mins but part of that can be seeing how I am with the children during free flow. I am thinking more about the shapes of the rocket so just what junk modelling item do they want to use for the different parts of the rocket - think trying to get them to fly will be a bit too much for them. (although I would like to try the balloon idea with them as an extra thing for the highest ability.)
    Thank you for your advice - super helpful :)

2. laconn

laconn New commenter

I am new to reception so if this is off track please feel free to ignore. Could the children draw a quick plan of what they want their rocket to look like. They could just do it on whiteboards quickly with a pen. Then you could compare them to the design at the end and discuss why it maybe didnt work or why it looks better. Just an idea but I saw something similar being done in an early years unit and it seemed to work quite well.

3. Best of luck, sure it will go well. Let us know how you get on!!

4. This sounds like a good idea but I am working in nursery with children that have poor speech and language - I think the main focus will need to be just about which materials they would like to use and why (answering why they have chosen something will be a challenge enough for them I think!)
    Thank you both for your responses! I don't get a chance very often to talk through my ideas and been great to get your advice :) I will let you know how I get on (fingers crossed!)