1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Final Observation - reflection...help please?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by starlight189, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Hello,
    It's my final observation next week and I'll be teaching maths and reflection. It will be the second in the series of lessons, but many students will miss a lot of the first lesson when they go swimming.
    I'm not teaching the first lesson, but I'm planning it for the supply teacher. I was going to just focus on introducing reflection for this lesson, and just keep it simple because half the class leave after the input anyway.
    For my observation lesson, I'm thinking maybe that the kids could create rangoli patterns, which would connect well to reflecting shapes in the 4 quadrants. The thing is, I'm worried about differentiation. Part of me was thinking I could give the different ability groups cut-outs of the different shapes I want them to use in their patterns, and then they could arrange them and draw around them. That way, I could give the higher ability shapes with diagonals or even circles. Would this be enough do you think?
    Also,I'm not quite sure what to do as a plenary. Some sort of self assessment, but I also want to extend them to the next stage, any ideas how I could do that?
    Thank you if you've read my mini essay! I just really want to do well and make it exciting. :)

2. Hello,
    It's my final observation next week and I'll be teaching maths and reflection. It will be the second in the series of lessons, but many students will miss a lot of the first lesson when they go swimming.
    I'm not teaching the first lesson, but I'm planning it for the supply teacher. I was going to just focus on introducing reflection for this lesson, and just keep it simple because half the class leave after the input anyway.
    For my observation lesson, I'm thinking maybe that the kids could create rangoli patterns, which would connect well to reflecting shapes in the 4 quadrants. The thing is, I'm worried about differentiation. Part of me was thinking I could give the different ability groups cut-outs of the different shapes I want them to use in their patterns, and then they could arrange them and draw around them. That way, I could give the higher ability shapes with diagonals or even circles. Would this be enough do you think?
    Also,I'm not quite sure what to do as a plenary. Some sort of self assessment, but I also want to extend them to the next stage, any ideas how I could do that?
    Thank you if you've read my mini essay! I just really want to do well and make it exciting. :)

3. Firstly, if so many pupils are going to miss a lesson, are you sure you want to introduce a new topic then? Irrespective of the fact that the following lesson is your observation, I'd consider doing something different with them in the previous lesson.
    That said, have you thought about reflecting along diagonal lines (y=x or y = -x) as an extension task? Either in the main or as part of the plenary. If you only use it in the plenary, perhaps have it as three reflections one of which is wrong. Pupils need to identify which is wrong and justify their answer. You can then increase difficulty with each set of three. I like doing plenaries like this by giving the pupils mini-whiteboards on which they write their answers (A, B or C) and then I can quickly assess the overall level of understanding.