1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Final Block Placement - Not hitting targets - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rubeechooseday, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Just received my mid-"term report for my final block placement and it rates my teaching at "satisfactory with some cause for concern" as I have failed to meet my weekly targets. It has been suggested that I may have to do another placement in September 2011. Does anyone know about this stuff and can advise me?

2. Sorry to hear about your predicament.
    Are you able to have a frank discussion with your mentor at school?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ask on the student teacher forum, there are experts there who can help you.

Look on the left hand side of the page for 'student teacher'.

4. this happened to me during a final yr placement
    and my mentor was very unsupportive
    talk to your college tutor is my advice,
    best of luck, you can always retake a placement
    I did, after I went to my tutor as after one bad lesson as a trainee (which is allowed as a trainee in my opinion) and the school put me as failing, I went to my tutor, saying all my other observations had been fairly good up until that point. The school then asked me to leave, so i redid my placement later in the year ( i had to arrange it myself though)

some schools are tough, speak to your tutor

Miss H

5. Sorry to hear it but I have been there!!
    Except I didn't get a warning (not even a passing comment) in fact I had only been told that I was doing alright... but yep in rolled a uni tutor and next thing I know placement failed and world crashing down around me!!!! I was ready to give up, and very very almost did!
    But I redid my placement in September and came out 'outstanding' and I had a permanent job within a month of finishing placement (which was a week or so before xmas).
    So my advice is that if the worst happens... take it on the chin, chomp on the bit and prove the *** wrong in September just like I did!!

Good luck!

6. thank you so much for your response - have been feeling really quite desperate. The headteacher who is my AT has told me to contact my PAT Tutor. I intend to email her today. The action plan which has been put in place for me is for me to do more observation of good practice and undertake phonics work with small groups of teaching for the next three weeks until end of placement but not any whole class teaching. I am gonig to challenge this. I have not had any help with planning or differentiation - at all - not on this placement or the second placement which was in France. I have managed to identify the areas where the school and my university have not provided support and or information. I will have a frank discussion with all parties. Thanks once again.

7. thank you so much for responding and for the advice.

8. will do - thanks very much.