1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Films you didn't expect to enjoy but did!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lillipad, May 6, 2012.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Mine is 'Sucker punch.' I saw the posters for this in the cinema... and thought 'what a load of ****' - saw the pictures of scantily clad babes and knew why my boyfriend was keen to watch it, so naturally refused. Then he bought it on blue ray and went on and on about how great it was, and again I ignored him. Then I got drunk last night and agreed to watch it... I know the story line has some gaping holes and is weird, but I oddly enjoyed it, and the sound track is great... to the point where i'm downloading it from itunes as we speak.

Anyone got any recommended films that look like stinkers but aren't?!

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Mine is 'Sucker punch.' I saw the posters for this in the cinema... and thought 'what a load of ****' - saw the pictures of scantily clad babes and knew why my boyfriend was keen to watch it, so naturally refused. Then he bought it on blue ray and went on and on about how great it was, and again I ignored him. Then I got drunk last night and agreed to watch it... I know the story line has some gaping holes and is weird, but I oddly enjoyed it, and the sound track is great... to the point where i'm downloading it from itunes as we speak.

Anyone got any recommended films that look like stinkers but aren't?!

3. The Wrestler - brilliant! Completely loved it, despite having no interest in seeing it at all.
    Slingblade - deeply affecting, haunted me for ages afterwards.

4. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Lost in Translation.
    Looks dull, the pairing of Scarlett Johansson and Bill Murray was weird and didn't seem like it had much of a 'story' behind it. I refused to watch it for those reasons until Mr Belle made me. It's now one of my very favourite films!

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Senna.
    F1 does nothing for me, but this film was gripping.
    Hasn't there been a thread on this before?

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I've heard Senna is good, but yeah has never appealed to me because of the F1 part! Maybe I should try it. Just remembered I also oddly enjoyed 'Unstoppable' despite laughing at him for wanting to watch it. Oops.

7. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Avatar. Really didn't want to watch it but youngest had see it at the cinema and loved it. He bought the DVD and we settled down to watch it. My intention was to have a little nap while he watched. I was enthralled. I've watched it several times - now we've got it in 3D.
    I thought Lost in Translation was exactly that. I didn't get that at all.

8. gargs

gargs Star commenter

Moulin Rouge
    A friend told me it was awful and that she'd left half way through - but I loved it!
    I was amazed by Ewan McGregor's voice - who knew he could sing?!

9. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

It looked to me like a blokey film and I don't usually like those, but I found this very atmospheric and fascinating.

10. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Attack the Block. Grange Hill with aliens and the A-Team. Chortle, chortle, blam, blam!!

11. Million Dollar Baby. I have no interest in boxing and don't particularly enjoy Clint Eastwood films (well, the cowboy ones), but this was really well done. Cried and cried at the ending[​IMG]

12. camis

camis New commenter

If you liked Senna, try Closer To The Edge, about the Isle of Man TT races. Also stars Guy Martin from 'The Boat That Guy Built' (if you watched that series - I loved it!)

13. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

The girl with the dragon tattoo. Saw the trailers and didn't think it was my thing but Mr ScotSEN suggested that I watch on the flight home - I did and it was marvellous. Off to buy the books.

14. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

He's got a great voice, hasn't he? I love his duet with Nicole

15. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Rango. School got free tickets and we took year 6. Loved the film though a lot of the humour was lost on the kids [​IMG]

16. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

The Michael Jackson film that was out a couple of years ago. Daughter dragged me to it. Never did like his music or his antics, but the film was fabulous and is the best example of professionalism and rehearsal commitment I've ever seen.

17. Fighter. Didn't want to watch it all as hate fighting of any kind, but oh persuaded me as he loves it. The casting is fantastic, Tom Hardy is superb, and I sobbed at the end. The film grabs you in a way you really don't expect.

18. This Happy Breed.Like a stage play with great performances all round. A bit cliched admittedly.

19. whapbapboogy

whapbapboogy New commenter

When I was a teenager, I was dragged to see 'Mrs Doubtfire'. I was determined I was going to hate it (I hated Robin Williams), but it was fantastic. I still can't stand Robin Williams in 'Goodbye Vietnam' or whatever it's called- but what an actor- for someone to love his film when they were determined he was completely annoying and it was going to be terrible!

20. The Switch - watched it yesterday. Typical Hollywood ending but VERY funny in between!