1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Films You Didn't Expect to be that good

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4561, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Last night I watched an Aussie movie called "Malcolm"... I googled it later, and apparently it was a cult film when it came out in the 80's. It starred a very young Coliin Friels as a type of *** - sauvant... he appeared 'simple' when dealing with people, but was a technical genius. He teamed up with a criminal, and they set out to rob a bank using some complicated gadgetry....
    It was hilarious, sad, and heartwarming... an absolute gem! [​IMG]

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

american beauty is an amzing film.
    i didn't want to go and see 'Dig' but it was very good.

3. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Hated American Beauty and Sophie's Choice!
    Loved Juno. Watched a B move once about a horse - much better than the A feature (wish I could remember the name).

4. Paul. Really funny. :)

5. The Green Mile.
    I expected a typical Steven King 'horror'.
    I loved it.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Senna. And I find F1 terminally dull!
    Eyes Wide Shut. Wierd but captivating.

7. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

I REALLY enjoyed The Lovely Bones, which was a surprise as I hated the book. Many years ago we went to the pictures and missed the film that we wanted to see so watched Body of Evidence with Madonna in, and I loved it!

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Love Happens, it's about a widower and has Jennifer Aniston in so I was expecting something vacuous but enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to.

9. Gods and Monsters
    Very loosely based on James Whales last days... features a young Brendan Fraser, playing a very serious role for once.... and he played it well!

10. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

[​IMG]
    And great soundtrack by Penguin Cafe Orchestra.

11. Oh, yes! I teach music, and will be doing Film Music with students later this year.... I'm thinking I could use this, if I can still get a copy of it! LOVE Penguin Cafe Orchestra

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I really loved Juno too. Also Marley and Me. (embarrassing I know) Watched it on a plane and everyone was snivelling at the end. Watched The Help last night - not brilliant. I have also really enjoyed X men and Star trek films in my time.

13. Don Juan DeMarco
    Groundhog Day
    K-Pax

...all surprisingly thoughtful and, at times, unexpectedly moving.
    i'm an old softie at heart.

14. Some good ideas for my love film account here! I loved Juno also. Not a sci fi fan and Paul is the one Simon Pegg film i don't want to see!

15. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

But it is a comedy rather than a Sci Fi film. Paul is - um - not quite the usual alien character... [​IMG]

16. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I don't usually go for period dramas, but I reluctantly watched 'The Young Victoria' when it came on TV a while back. I absolutely loved it! What a lovely, tender, romantic film.
    I also remember going to see 'Liar Liar' with a friend, even though I wasn't keen on Jim Carrey and I'm almost ashamed to say it's one of my favourite films now [​IMG]

17. Oh, yes! I found it fascinating.

18. It might be another one to suprise me then!

19. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I don't like Sci Fi but I am another who loved Paul.
    I don't like Jim Carrey either but I liked Liar, Liar and The Trueman Show is one of my favourite films of all time.

20. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

This is also a family favourite. When my mum does something a bit phsyco she follows it up with the quote 'Chefs do that!'