1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Films that hit you like a sledgehammer

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon468, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Requiem For a Dream. It's quite watchable until the final 40 minutes or so. The last montage scene is just horrific.
    Also loved Dead Poet's Society and American Beauty.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Re Books and films, I've never been able to get beyond the first couple of pages of Tolkein's master work before I put it down for good - I just can't be ***** trying to keep up with all that Buttermere of Mudgaard stuff. However, I rate the movies among my personal top ten.

As a kid, 'Where Eagles Dare' was one of the first novels I read, and watching the film again recently I was quietly impressed by how it captured the feel and mood of the book, if not the exact detail.

'Band of Brothers' follows Stephen Ambrose's history of the US 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment almost to the letter. Both are hugely impressive.

I love Alan Moore's graphic novels, but they don't translate very well to film (ie 'From Hell', 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen', 'V for Vendetta') because his unique multi-layered writing style doesn't work on a big screen for only 2 hours, and the producers make too many compromises to pull the audiences in. Having said that, 'Watchmen' wasn't a bad attempt, but it doesn't come close to the book, and Moore wouldn't have his name in the credits. I personally think his stuff would be much better adapted to TV, but DC Comics own the rights on much of it and they prefer film.

'The Diving Bell and The Butterfly' is a very powerful film, and the book even more so. One of the most inspirational pieces of writing I've seen. If you ever think you're having a bad time, find yourself a copy.

3. 'American History X' - one of the most powerful films I've ever seen, and with a real sledgehammer moment at the end which caused a prolonged and shocked silence in our livingroom.
    Have to agree with whoever said Dead Poets was gash - watched it after hearing others raving about it and watched it, willing it to end soon. Even when the chap killed himself - because I thought the film was so bad, I couldn't really muster up anything approaching sympathy or sadness.

4. My teeth itch at just the mention of that film :S

5. American Beauty is one of my favourites, and I liked Dead Poets, but I wouldn't describe either of them as sledgehammers.
    I quite fancy watching a sledgehammer - something that will leave me stunned and incapable of worrying about my own little problems.

6. The Road - I haven't watched the film ad I have such a clear picture in my head of the book, I don't think it would compare. Bleak bleak bleak. Glad to hear good things about Never Let Me Go though as I loved the book!

Sledgehammer moments/movies - This Is England, and the really atrocious scene in The Last King Of Scotland. Grim. Se7en is a great shout - gets me every single time!!

7. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

Don't know if anyone's said it yet as not really read back but Boy in the Striped Pyjamas has stayed with me a long time.
    I'd love to watch Schindler's List but not one I'm going to sit and watch on my own.

8. Australian movie....... " Alexandra's Project" grim, grim, grim...... "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover' , "Once Were Warriors", "The Boxer" (set in Ireland during The Troubles", The Wicker Man, "Wolf Creek" ...Scottish movies.....
    "The Debt Collector" (Billy Connolly and Ken Stott), "Wedding Belles", "Bumping The Odds" "Wilbur Wants To Kill Himself" and "My Name is Joe" Scots do grim movies so well, don't they? and Jean de Flourette (as previously mentioned)

9. Au Revoir les Enfants
    Shooting Dogs
    Marley and Me
    Two Brothers

10. Oh, and other have said,
    American History X
    The Pianist

11. Slingblade - just couldn't tear myself away from it and kept thinking about it for days and days afterwards.

12. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

[​IMG]
    It made me laugh.

13. I didn't particularly like it, but I came out of the cinema sobbing. I still don't really understand why - it's not like it revealed any horrors we didn't already know about, but it was a good 15 mins before I calmed down.

14. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Absolutely agree here. I saw it once, at the cinema in 1984/ 1985. I was listening to the film soundtrack the other day and it was so bleak. I could pinpoint the events in the film from the music. It had me in tears - and I wasn't even watching the film!

15. I guess that it is good that we have such varying tastes else fewer films would be made

Some of the films mentioned I found blergh ... DPS, American Beauty, Shawshank, to name a few

Sledgehammer for me ... Sophie's Choice (every bit as good as the book)

16. Much as I love Killing Fields, Se7en, FMJ, Platoon for their brain numbing OMGness there are two that I always return to in part for the cinematography but also for their otherworldliness and ineffable sadness
    The Last Emperor
    Empire of the Sun

I also watched a brilliant Chinese film Raise the Red Lantern - utterly beautiful, the colour palette of the film is so unlike anything I've seen before.

17. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Completely agree with American History X - can't believe I forgot about it, as it's in my top 10 'must sees'.
    The Killing Fields too. Made all the more powerful (IMO) because it portrays real life events and because Dr Haing S Ngor had experienced the horrors of the Khmer Rouge at first hand. He remains the the only Asian to win an Oscar for Best Suporting Actor.

18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

It is always good we have differing tastes. I, for one, just cannot stand the list of American **** on here - from Spielberg's films to the aforementioned 'Killing Fields'. Why? American films always, always patronise the audience. They tell you immediately who is the good guy, who we should hate - and they are drowned in melodrama. Awful, awful films. I've seen French and other foreign films which have been much more stimulating, not least as they don't always have the obligatory happy ending or 'point'. Some French films are brilliant in the way they do the exact opposite - they just end without any point or message!

19. Au Revoir les Enfants How could I have forgotton that? Wonderful film. So understated.
    For light relief/feel good/great music The Choir.

20. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh - Betty Blue! I was taken to see that on a first date (I know!) and could barely speak for a good hour afterwards. Total sledgehammer. Right between the eyes.