1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Films that hit you like a sledgehammer

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon468, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Bambi certainly has a bit of a sledgehammer moment........

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

in that vain

I spit on your grave (70's)
    saw (the 1st one)
    the brave one
    monster
    finding never land
    Paranormal Activity
    the fly
    coach carter
    trainspotting
    flight plan
    shutter island

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I'll be amazed if anyone else has even heard of this film, but it's an absolutely outstanding piece of South Korean cinema which will leave you gulping for air like a fish out of water:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190539/
    The Chaser (no for the faint hearted).

4. 2bgr8

2bgr8 New commenter

Hotel Rwanda.

5. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I saw only part of Papillon years ago and cried buckets. I often cry at films, but Papillon left me with such deeply harrowing feelings I've never wanted to watch it again

6. The Passion of the Christ - left me completely speechless.
    Just been to see Black Swan - brilliant film! The whole audience was gripped from beginning to end, not a single cough throughout! Natalie Portman thoroughly deserves every award she gets for this film.

7. Asta9

Asta9 New commenter

'House of Sand and Fog' and 'Requiem for a Dream' were both devastating. 'Death and the Maiden' also springs to mind.

8. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Just to throw a complete spanner in the works have any of you read, and been blown away, by the book before seeing the film?
    Or alternatively been disappointed with a film having read the book?xx

9. Asta9

Asta9 New commenter

Well, just came home from seeing 'Never Let me Go'. Great book and the film was just as I had pictured it.

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I can't wait to see the film version of 'One Day'.
    But I have a feeling it won't match up to my expectations.
    Hated the film version of 'High Fidelity'.

11. I was going to say the first Saw. It had my heart beating out of my chest when it does the flashback sequence at the end, with *that* music.
    And paranormal activity. My god, that is by far the most frightening film ive ever seen.

12. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I was wary of the film (Kiera knightly) having read and loved the book many years ago, I also was not disappointed.xx

13. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I think you missed the point a bit. Did you also think the father was the hero/protagonist?
    Hotel Rwanda. Don Cheadle is amazing. The palpable sense of danger, imminent peril and (obviously) epic injustice was quite stunning. Great film, but don't think I would want to watch it again.

14. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Mike Leigh's latest film, "Another Year".

You could have heard the proverbial pin drop at the end of the viewing I was at last week.

15. I thoroughly recommend Daniel Wallace's novels, not just big fish - and especially the Watermelon King.

16. Tsotsi
    Absolutely brilliant.

17. The English Patient - horrible - started sobbing uncontrollably about 20 mins before the end and continued along the street and until I got home. I felt immense anger at my husband for taking me - it was supposed to be a treat. Looking back, I realise there are similarities with the ending of a book I read when I was about 15 - The Fever Tree by Richard Mason. This book made me feel as thought I never wanted to read another book again and The English Patient had the same effect where films are concerned.
    On the other hand, Birdy (Alan Parker) was the most brilliant film I think I have ever seen. Amazing beginning, amazing ending. Genius.

18. Yup. The only films which come close to the books are LoTR and even they could do with an edit. Having said that I've seen stage plays of both To Kill a Mockingbird and Trainspotting which were fantastic and made me hopeful for the film versions.

19. No, and I haven't missed the point. I don't think it was particularly well conveyed.

20. Funny - I started crying about 20mins before the end of that one (when he first spoke) and just kept going.