1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Films that hit you like a sledgehammer

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon468, Feb 12, 2011.

1. I have to be in the right mood for a "serious" film. I keep things on the hard drive for ages sometimes as most nights I prefer some mindless tat - I'm the same with books.

2. My son was rather taken with Plainview's comment in There Will Be Blood:
    There are times when I look at people and I see nothing worth liking. I want to earn enough money that I can get away from everyone.

He thought he'd found a soulmate.

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

'kin 'ell - that was a heck of a film, Lily.
    No Country For Old Men was heart stopping.

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Can't agree with most of them, apart from Schindler.
    Sometimes a film you find is amazing, but unknown.
    Try "Romulus, my father" its an Australian film with Eric Bana. It shows Bana really can act, and if you don't get upset you are just completely hard-faced.

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I know what you mean, airy. Mindless tat is always well represented on my list!
    I'm rewatching Risky Business tonight... [​IMG]

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Thanks, jacob - will look out for that one.
    I though Bana was pretty good in Munich, though.

7. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Nick Roeg's "Don't Look Now"
    Somewhat older (1973), but if you haven't seen it, you are in for a hell of an experience

8. I'd read the book and the film didn't have quite the same impact. The book made me cry for weeks.

9. Yes, that shook me up when I first saw it. That silent scream. I didn't even have children at the time and it went right through me.

10. 'Breaking the Waves'. Never seen anything so moving since. Almost turned it off half way through as it was all a bit much, but well worth sticking with.

11. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Hitchcock's "Notorious" (the original 1940s one, not the dire 90s remake)

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Crikey, nemo - that film left me absolutely wrung out. Bleak doesn't even cover it.

13. Keltoum's Daughter

14. It does have the 'sledgehammer' feeling though!

15. Sophie's Choice - don't think I could watch it again......

16. Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that one. I can't imagine watching that again, now that I have children

17. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Lord of the flies, first watched it when I was about 12 and it gobsmacked me, still has a similar effect now.
    The scene in Gone with the wind with Scarlett clenching a fistful of earth and swearing to keep the land she was born to. (The Tara speech, just before the interlude I think).
    Sophies Choice (though many of Meryl Streep's films, Silkwood is another)
    Schindler's List
    To kill a Mockingbird
    I think older films generally have more of that kick in the gut impact because they were, overall better written and more reliant on characters and plot than special effects.
    Just my opinion and I just happen to love older films, but worth considering.xx
    PS. I adore Morgan Freeman and his voice is dark chocolate melty, Shawshank is also a brilliant film and based on a VERY short story by Stephen King, as was Stand by me, another brilliant film.xx

18. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

both good and bad sledgehammers for very different reasons, some others not already mentioned could include

American history x
    dead poets society
    good will hunting
    garden state
    inside I'm dancing
    LOTR
    big fish

to name but a few.........

19. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Big Fish - awesome film! Must watch it again.

20. Not a film, I know, but what about the final scene from Blackadder Goes Forth?