1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Films that hit you like a sledgehammer

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon468, Feb 12, 2011.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I remember when I first saw 'Fight Club' some time after it was released and wondered how on Earth I'd missed it the first time round. Powerful thought-provoking stuff.

I've always been impressed by the dark subversive mood of 'If...' - it influenced my thinking a lot in my teens.

2. gingerella

gingerella New commenter

Kidulthood made me look at the kids I teach differently and, I hope, with a deeper insight into their lives.

3. jannet

jannet New commenter

Thanks for all these wonderful reminders, people ! Has anyone mentioned 'The Crying Game' ? I was so annoyed to miss it recently on TV - might just have to sign up to LoveFilm myself!

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

'Into The Wild' - i'd previously read the story so knew what was coming, sobbed all the way through it, and was only able to watch it again about 6 months later cause it was on my mind for weeks and weeks! An absolutely beautiful film, but it really did hit me like a sledgehammer!

5. The Lives of Others - German film about police spying on artists in East Germany - it won the best foreign language Oscar a few years back - can never get it out of my mind.

6. I went to see Sarah's Key last night. I've read the book so I knew what to expect, but my poor friend had now idea what I was dragging her along to see. We both agreed that it was the sort of film that would stay with you for a long time. Very upsetting.

7. 'Au revoir les enfants' - I cried buckets.
    'Mississippi Burning'
    'Shooting Dogs'