1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Films that hit you like a sledgehammer

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon468, Feb 12, 2011.

1. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Telly was rubbish (as usual) last night, so we decided to watch a film online via our LoveFilm subscription.
    Settled on 'Letters From Iwo Jima' and nearly 24 hours later I still can't get it out of my mind. Absolutely brilliant, but it's left me feeling like I've been hit by a sledgehammer blow.
    'The Road' had much the same effect on me.
    Which films have left you reeling?

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The Shawshank Redemption - it's Morgan Freeman's narration in that beautiful voice, plus the heart-warming story.

3. Once were warriors
    I dragged some friends along because I'd heard Barry Norman review it and thought he said it was a comedy. It's probably the least funny film I've seen. The whole audience just sat there in stunned silence when it finished.

4. Oh, I love that film. You're absolutely right about Morgan Freeman's voice. I often wonder what his performance as Nelson Mandela was like in that film about the South African rugby team.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Slumdog Millionaire. It's another that makes you laugh one minute and cry the next. I struggled to sit through it a second time because I knew about the really upsetting bits.

6. 'The Accused' with Jodie Foster - I saw it when I was 14 and have pretty much hated 95% of men ever since.

7. Pan's Labyrinth, Life is Beautiful, Reservoir Dogs, Dogville (not a cheery one that!), Man Bites Dog (not sure where the dog theme is coming from)...Spirited Away...there's loads!

8. 'Crash' (the recent one) and 'Magnolia' (not 'Steel Magnolias'...)

Also, 'Battle Royale'.

God, I love films.

9. 2bgr8

2bgr8 New commenter

I hear you! My husband and I watched "Flags of our Fathers" first, then "Letters from Iwo Jima" the next night.Sledgehammer blow for sure! This was years ago and I can still picture some of the scenes.

10. American Beauty.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Have been watching the 'Lord of The Rings' trilogy on Blu-Ray recently. Still among the most visually stunning films I've seen. Funny thing is I've never been able to get into the books.

Equally stunning - 'Spirited Away', 'Ghost In The Shell 2 - Innocence', 'House of the Flying Daggers' et al, and any war movie (or series) by Spielberg/Hanks.

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Loads on here that I'd go along with plus some new suggestions (thanks)!
    I love films, too CK. You know you're watching something really powerful when all the breath in your body leaves you in a single gasp at certain moments and you feel like you need a really stiff drink at the end of it all.

13. I was utterly wrung out at the end of Schindler's List.

14. the Cook, the thief, his wife and her lover. I just couldn't move after it had finished.

15. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

I'll second Spirited Away, I sat there in a daze for a couple of hours after that.
    City of God, although I don't think I could ever watch it again.
    Also - and this is weird because I don't rate the rest of the film very much - but the final ten minutes of Forces of Nature seem to knock me out every time.

16. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Cool Hand Luke.

17. ooh yes.
    and that!

18. Ditto, chilliexx. I saw American Beauty at a time when I was in a bit of a funny mood and it hit me right in the gut.

19. anon468

anon468 New commenter

You do realise I started this thread to get ideas for my LoveFilm list! [​IMG]
    Only joking.

20. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

Road to Perdition