1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Films in RE

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by sauce, Sep 13, 2011.

1. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Genetic Engineering- The Island and Gattica are good for this topic.

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

and a few other ethical theories
    Depends on how old you students are
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0914863/ and hope you have a strong gut!
    A psychological thriller centred around a black-ops interrogator and an FBI agent who press a suspect terrorist into divulging the location of three nuclear weapons set to detonate in the U.S.

ie is it OK we torture and harm the guy in order to save LOTS of people

3. I've often thought that Hot Fuzz has Kantian and Utilitarian themes; it's also very funny.

4. - Utilitarianism - the scene from Dark Knight where the Joker plants the bombs on the ferrys and switches the remotes and says that one boat has to blow the other up before midnight. Good arguments about the value of life and whether the prisoners deserve to live. Think you can get the clip on Youtube which has been edited for just this scene.
    - Abortion - Vera Drake.
    - Euthanasia - Short Stay in Switzerland with Julie Walters in. My sixth form were sobbing by the end of it and accusing me of being evil for making them watch it! Also the second half of Million Dollar Baby.
    - Genetic Engineering - My Sister's Keeper, The Island, Gattaca, The Sixth Day (?)
    - War and Peace - Saving Private Ryan (there was a section of that I used to explain Kant but have no idea which bit now...). I often show short clips from different films to look at the morality of using different types of weapons - All Quiet on the Western Front for a gas attack; Forrest Gump for guerrilla warfare; Terminator 2 for a nuclear attack; Grave of the Fireflies (anime) for incendries/effects of warfare on children.

5. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse New commenter

6. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse New commenter

7. For War and Peace, or at least Christian approaches thereunto - the Mission is a good one. The two lead characters represent two different Christian responses; absolute pacifism, and the struggle for liberation.

8. Thank you so much for all of your responses, you have been a great help!