1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Films for a Spanish class?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by NNS, Mar 20, 2013.

1. NNS

NNS New commenter

In our department we have quite a few films we can show to our KS3 pupils (Asterix and Obelix, Taxi, etc). But nothing for Spanish...
    I have been researching all over the place and it is so hard to find films appropriate for KS3 pupils (all seems full of sex/violence, and rated 15 or 18).
    Has anyone got a recommendation for films that are rated U, PG or PG12, either Spanish or about Spain/Latin America?

2. NNS

NNS New commenter

In our department we have quite a few films we can show to our KS3 pupils (Asterix and Obelix, Taxi, etc). But nothing for Spanish...
    I have been researching all over the place and it is so hard to find films appropriate for KS3 pupils (all seems full of sex/violence, and rated 15 or 18).
    Has anyone got a recommendation for films that are rated U, PG or PG12, either Spanish or about Spain/Latin America?

3. Do a forum search, quite a few people have asked the same question. I think voces inocentes y valetin are a 12 and mar adentro is a PG. I haven't seen these films but ordered valetin and mar adentro yesterday after seeing recommendations on here.

4. Coventrymiss

Coventrymiss New commenter

I agree! However, having watched some of the older films with older groups it does seem to me that some films are overly censored. I have a copy of 'La familia rodante' where practically nothing happens but it's a 15 certificate.
    Films we have used in our faculty are Bonbon el perro (or is it Bombom??!!) and a very popular one is 'Dí que sí' (although contains a very brief naked breast shot!). I also liked Valentín and have a copy of High School Musical in Spanish - it was really popular about 4 years ago.

5. Mar Adentro may be PG because it has no bad language and not much sex(I think that there is some) but I don't think that it has a very appealing theme for KS3. It is a brilliant film and Javier Bardem is fantastic, however quadrapligia and assisted suicide and very little 'action' may not suit this age group.

pascuam49 and manzanoe94 like this.
  6. Hi
    You might like to look at El-Sistema. A documentary film about the children's network of Orchestras in Venezula. It's a great film you can order on DVD with switchable English subtitles, as the main interviews and dialogue are in Spanish of course.
    Trailer here http://www.el-sistema-film.com/el_Sistema_Trailer_en.html
    Well worth a look.
    This might be fun too - select Spanish version - http://manxman.ch/moodle2/course/view.php?id=5
    Alan

7. Try the series El Internado. You can watch it easily through YOUTUBE, therefore no need to buy a DVD. Fantastic series for teenagers, I use it with both my IGCSE Spanish class and IB ab initio, they love it! Good luck.

8. El pagafantas is quite good for yr8/9, Angeles S.A also suitable. Neither are of any real cultural interest but make a nice end of year treat!

9. I agree with ciarahon, Pagafantas is great -I´d say for anyone from yr8 to yr13. Another great movie you can show to yr7 to yr9 (though yr9 might be a bit old, it depends on your students) is Manolito Gafotas. Another movie my students absolutely loved was El orfanato. It´s 15 rated, but there is no sex, hardly any swearing -if at all- and not really anything violent, it´s just a bit scary, but I´ve showed it to my yr9 and yr11. The Chilean movie Machuca is great and it´s about two 12 year old kids, though you´d have to explain about the political situation at the time (with Pinochet). And obviously, El laberinto del fauno...

10. I would not show that to KS3. I am not sure what its certificate is. However there are scenes of extreme violence in it. I had to close my eyes and I have quite a strong stomach. Some of the other suggestions sound great.

11. lonelyteacher

lonelyteacher New commenter

Following advice from the forum, I bought "Valentin" and the students enjoyed it (me included)

12. Yeah, it´strue that it contains some strong scenes (I can remember one or two in particular), but I´ve showed it to yr8´s and yr9´s -the Head of Spanish has shown it to her KS3 classes too), and nobody seemed particularly affected.. Don´t know, I guess it depends on the class, but I still think it´s a good movie to show on the whole!

13. Does this refer to El Laberinto del Fauno? If so I must be getting more queasy as I get older. It is a 15 certificate I note. Brilliant film but personally I would not show it to KS3 and strictly speaking it should not be shown according to the certificate.

14. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

15. Blancalaiz

Blancalaiz New commenter

I think that "Zipi y Zape" is great for GCSE or A-levels. "El orfanato" is also a good one.

msr2015 likes this.
  16. lilylea

lilylea New commenter

Landfill Harmonic might be worth a try.

17. pascuam49

pascuam49 New commenter

For animations, I like El Libro de la Vida, about el dia de muertos en Mejico and Futbolin, especially engaging for boys.

18. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

19. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

When Coco comes out on DVD, get a copy with a Spanish Language option.

pascuam49 likes this.
  20. emartinez_1971

emartinez_1971 New commenter

I quite liked "El Olivo", but there are some strong scenes with sex and drugs and quite a lot of swearing, which explains its certificate. I don't think it should be used for KS3 but it should be fine for KS4.