1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Filming of EDEXCEL Unit 1 and Unit 2

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by rogersmg, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hi. I am new to both forums and GCSE Drama so please bear with me!
    I am, for the first time, delivering the EDEXCEL GCSE Drama course. I am working in a classroom and therefore, struggling to film the Controlled Assessment work for Unit 1 and 2 with a fixed camera. It is not always audible what each group is saying and although I do rotate the students and ensure each group / student appears on camera, the entire group are not always on camera. Our resources are very limited and I am very concerned as to the students' final marks.
    The assessment for EDEXCEL and the way in which it needs to be filmed is proving to be a complete nightmare - I have actually made the decision to switch boards, based on conversations with colleagues in our area who now do AQA, for our Year 10 group. We don't do Drama at KS3 and I have to say that I have relied quite heavily on the EDEXCEL resources which I also worry about, especially when reading the posts on various other forums.
    Can anyone offer any insights or advice?
    Thanks

2. Hi. I am new to both forums and GCSE Drama so please bear with me!
    I am, for the first time, delivering the EDEXCEL GCSE Drama course. I am working in a classroom and therefore, struggling to film the Controlled Assessment work for Unit 1 and 2 with a fixed camera. It is not always audible what each group is saying and although I do rotate the students and ensure each group / student appears on camera, the entire group are not always on camera. Our resources are very limited and I am very concerned as to the students' final marks.
    The assessment for EDEXCEL and the way in which it needs to be filmed is proving to be a complete nightmare - I have actually made the decision to switch boards, based on conversations with colleagues in our area who now do AQA, for our Year 10 group. We don't do Drama at KS3 and I have to say that I have relied quite heavily on the EDEXCEL resources which I also worry about, especially when reading the posts on various other forums.
    Can anyone offer any insights or advice?
    Thanks

3. What you have done sounds like the right kind of thing. It's the best you can do. Not all drama spaces lend themselves to the whole class being visible all of the time nor are acoustics good to hear a whole class. Remember, you are allowed to pan and zoom the camera from it's point - i.e. it's fixed to a tripod. A regular twist of the camera shows what else is going on in the room. I would advise against zooming in. After recording comes the hard part! The 5 students you select are the top, bottom and three middle students from that recording and you need to make sure they are readily identifiable. Watch the recording carefully and mark it - don't just rely on your notes from the lesson. Remember, it's this recording the moderator watches to agree (or not) the marking of your practical work. The more detail you can put in the notes for the D1c form, the better. Things like: 15mins Jonny Smith is visible, back right, contributing to ideas. or 23 mins Jonny Smith developing ideas in group at front etc will point out your candidates. It's this kind of thing that gives a moderator confidence. (No, that level of detail is not required but it is helpful.)Hope that helps.

4. That it helpful, Arthur. Thanks. Am in the process of doing mine as well. Did Unit 2 a couple of weeks ago and was really worried that the kids can't be heard. I've rotated their working positions so each groups works near the camera at some point, but still very difficult to capture it all in my classroom. Hoping it'll be ok. Will aim to write in detail on the forms. Just wish we didn't have to do it for both units.