1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Film suggestion

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by VaniliaGirl, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am thinking of getting new movies suitable to good grade 7 pupils. So far I have shown: les choristes, Kirikou, azur et Asmar, Jean de Florette et Manon des Sources, Les triplettes de Belleville.
    Any ideas?
    <h1> Thanks!</h1>

2. Hi,
    I am thinking of getting new movies suitable to good grade 7 pupils. So far I have shown: les choristes, Kirikou, azur et Asmar, Jean de Florette et Manon des Sources, Les triplettes de Belleville.
    Any ideas?
    <h1> Thanks!</h1>

3. How about Tintin, Asterix, Belleville Rendezvous, the new Petit Nicolas films, the Petit Nicolas cartoons... Have a look on amazon.fr in the childrens' DVDs section.

4. Thanks Dominic,
    What did you think of the movie, Le petit Nicolas? Personally, I thought it was a bit boring but children might like it... Some year 6 liked Le renard et l'enfant. I wanted to order "Les mains en l'air" but there aren't any English subtitiles.
    What about Asterix and Cleop&acirc;tre?

5. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

What does Grade 7 mean?

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Ast&eacute;rix et Cl&eacute;op&acirc;tre is brilliant, and kids usually do Egypt in Y6 or Y7. You can actually do some pretty in depth study before watching of all things Egyptian in French, using cognate (pyramides, le pharaon, etc) as they will probably have covered that topic before. And there are lots of resources in the resources section of this website.
    Taxi 2 was pretty good too (not taxi 1 though, as it's a 15).

7. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Steve, I understood it to mean Y7, i.e. kids aged 11-12. Hope it was right, otherwise my last comment is irrelevant!

8. Hi there!
    Grade 7 is the equivalent to year 7 (from International Bacc nomenclature!). Thanks for the opinions and suggestions. I realise though that there are not so many suitable films. That's a bit disappointing as i find they are good to motivate a class.

9. Over Christmas we let a mixed ability class Y8 watch "les visiteurs" 1 and 2 - Hilarious movie
    ***** (5 stars)

10. Is it? I was wondering that as the humour is so "French". Does it translate well into English? I guess it would suit better a year 8 than a year 7 class.
    Thanks Ghyslaine!

11. Au revoir les enfants - needs a bit of explanation, but my Year 7s loved it and were very moved by it.

12. How about Ast&eacute;rix chez les bretons? Old now, but truly funny and the class would get the cultural references. I would recommend Le petit Nicolas. If you know or have worked in the French system, it is very funny. If they can cope with the Pagnol films, why not 'La Reine Margot'?
    The other option is to have films - originally in English - which have been dubbed into French. Then gives you the option of running the French subtitles as support.

13. Ratatouille worked well with my pupils. I thought it was going too babyish but they truly loved it and it made a nice intro for our food topic.

14. L'Homme du Train with Johnny Halliday as a gangster ~ he turns out to be a surprisingly good actor! Okay if you fast forward a couple of fruity bits of language [​IMG] (I show all French films with English subtitles.)
    Also very popular ~ episodes of The Simpsons with French voices and English subtitles.

15. What i've been doing as well is to show them famous english films that i know they would have seen already but show them in french without subtitles, like Up (La-Haut in French)