1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Film Studies

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by nabley, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Anyone teach both? Who is good for resources?

Any help appreciated

2. Anyone teach both? Who is good for resources?

Any help appreciated

3. lizgaskell

lizgaskell New commenter

M
    Both Media and film Studies? Me.
    W JEC Film Studies website has loads of resources, free too! They, imho, need a little manipulation, but will get you started. I also bought one of their studnet books.
    I susbscribe to Media edu too which is quite expensive now (£75?) and as we have no specific budget and school never pays I may need to stop this soon but I found it unbelievably helpful particulary for exam topics. The site is going to also be offering Film edu soon which I am looking forward to- depending on cost of course.
    Other than that, this site's resources section is pretty good to get you started. And free!
    Liz

4. Thanks Liz. Yes, I have heard of Media Edu - exciting there is a new FilmEdu! I have a bit of money to spend and would rather get good stuff I can rely on rather than things I need to play with.

How did you find out about the Film Studies site - can't find anything on it at the moment?

Last question - which part of the FS is it best to start with?

5. lizgaskell

lizgaskell New commenter

Hi nably
    You doing WJEC I take it? I began with intro piece. It's worth 25 marks and requires the students to begin with researching a film's institutions and then analysing (very briefly- only 500 words I think) a scene from the same film.
    Mine are middle ability (D/C/B) students and this took them about 30 hours but theyve done quite well.
    There are examples of what to inlude on the 'institution' form and , of course, a blank form, on website.
    You can either choose a really good film/scene yourself or ask them to pick their own.
    http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?level=7&subject=54 website has lots of samples and even powerpoints.
    This book was helpful to give me the basics.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Film-Studies-Julie-Patrick/dp/0435368109/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312912972&sr=1-1
    When this is done we will do assignment two. This is basically coming up with own film idea, writing a pitch and thern producing either a script, storyboard, marketing campaign or magazine article.
    Assignment three is a choice of posters, press packs, sequence or webpage and an evaluation. For your film of course.
    We will take two exams in summer 2012.
    ONE: The Disaster Movie*
    TWO: a film from another culture (about 8 to choose from on the spec)
    *2013 paper ONE changes to superhero movies! This will be fun.
    I found out about Filmedu through email/newsletter from Mediedu. Once you join they let you know about new stuff. I don't think it will be available until Sept. though.
    Hope this helps. I am actually enjoing this more than Media Studies at the moment.Feel free to ask anything; if i can help I will. My first year though!
    Liz

6. That is really helpful. Thank you! Also just joined Media Edu - brilliant!

I saw they had English so decided to go for this too - only £30!!!

Think will start in the same way you have - thanks Liz.

:eek: )

7. lizgaskell

lizgaskell New commenter

No problem- enjoy.[​IMG]
    Liz

8. Just wondering if you think it is viable to do Film Studies GCSE in one year - two hours a week with a high ability class?
    Thanks

9. lizgaskell

lizgaskell New commenter

Well, mine have 3 hours a week for one year and are of very mixed ability. Some Ds, mostly Cs and Bs an 3 As. They find it quite difficult to get any work done work without me constantly being on their backs.
    I think that perhaps 2 a week is a bit short; to be honest i am pushing it. We will probably get the coursework done by Xmas but there are two exams.
    Having said that, do you by any chance have a double lesson? this, in my limited experience, is often far more productiove for such a practical subject.
    Liz

10. I just joined FilmEdu and they have a detailed SOW for the GCSE in a year. Job done!

11. lizgaskell

lizgaskell New commenter

Hi nably

I joined too! Some very helpful stuff on here and I am certain there will be more soon.

Liz