1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Film Studies instead of Media Studies @ GCSE?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by MrPuss, Dec 11, 2015.

1. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

Is anyone else contemplating this? We are trying to plan for the future and my Line Manager wants me to seriously consider dropping Media Studies before it's axed (or not) by the Government and jump ship to GCSE Film Studies.
    Does anyone have any thoughts / experience?

2. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

I think it's a decision of what's best for your students.

Media Studies and Film Studies are both as safe as each other and now secure at least through the next lot of specifications (so, a decade or so). Both subjects were considered for reform together. There was some talk of only one continuing because of the overlap between subjects. As a compromise was reached (no film as main texts in Media Studies), the discussions never got as far considering which would stay. On the one hand, it's a bit easier to make Film Studies 'more academic' (one of the Government's requirements), though Media Studies has much greater numbers taking it (one of Ofqual's requirements). So we'll never know which was more likely to survive. Both did.

Therefore, you can make a decision without considering survival.

Obviously, Film Studies, at GCSE, is much newer than Media Studies, so only one exam board offers it and it has lower numbers taking it. This means there are less resources. On the other hand, it is more focused (being just based on film), which can make things more manageable.

Whatever happens, I wouldn't switch for next year. The new specs are due to be first taught in September 2017. That would be the logical time to switch.

The new specifications, for both Film Studies and Media Studies are proposed to be quite different to what we have now, of course, so that will be a factor.

3. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

Many thanks for your thoughts.
    Not sure how much ice your response will cut with my SLT, but I'm trying to hold back the tide anyway.