1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Film Studies - Do you teach it?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by richardgent, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Interested in Film Studies...

Do you teach it?
    Which exam board?
    What's it like at different key stages?
    Where can you get good resources?
    What do the students think of the course?
    How is it received in UCAS applications?
    Which universities do the best undergraduate courses?

Any advice would be much appreciated?

Kind regards, Richard Gent

[w] www.mediaedu.co.uk
    [e] richardgent@mac.com

2. Interested in Film Studies...

Do you teach it?
    Which exam board?
    What's it like at different key stages?
    Where can you get good resources?
    What do the students think of the course?
    How is it received in UCAS applications?
    Which universities do the best undergraduate courses?

Any advice would be much appreciated?

Kind regards, Richard Gent

[w] www.mediaedu.co.uk
    [e] richardgent@mac.com

3. Only one board offers Film Studies - WJEC.
    It's an extremely successful AS and A Level subject and will, for the first time, be available as a GCSE from September 2008.

4. Do you teach it?

5. No, but we do offer it where I work.. I have done in the past; too busy now with media!

6. Do you know anyone that's really good at teaching it?

7. Hi Richard I started teaching Film Studies this year, but a colleague of mine has been teachign it for around 5 years now and he really knows his stuff.

8. FAB! Could you ask him to drop me a line when he has a moment?

Many thanks, Richard

[e] richardgent@mac.com

9. I've been teaching it since 1998, including the old syllabus. I've also been an examiner since 2001 on two seperate units.

Generally I have nothing but good things to say about the syllabus and exam board.

10. Hi Richard

I do teach Film Studies at both AS and A2 levels within a Further Education College. I really enjoy the student participation as they are actively encouraged to personalise their responses - film is an individual experience.

WJEC are currently the only exam board that offers Film Studies.

The main difference between AS/A2 learning is the depth of engagement as well as the focus from more predominantly Hollywood/mainstream cinema to a much wider world cinema. AS level is also an introduction to Film Studies whilst A2 assumes the basic knowledge is there (which it should be!)

I collate resources from a wide variety of areas dependng upon the task. Recent website examples include the BFI, BBFC, UK Film Council, Metrodome, God Amongst Directors and Film Education. I personally tend to avoid wikkipedia and IMDB (reserving them for quick referencing only). Other resources are gathered from such areas as magazines (e.g., Screen International,Sight and Sound), DVD extras, film posters and press related materials.I've even gone so far as to 'collect' cereal boxes for industry activities

My students really enjoy the subject as it encourages personal response as well as broadens their horizon in terms of film watching/engagement. It helps with their social skills (since Film is a personal experience)as they need to be able to respond to texts on an individual level.

Generally, depending on the University place, Film is well received though, if it appears to be relevant to other subjects studied. Certainly, there are those that are dismissive of Film/Media although, the dismissive individuals often are misguided in their views. Students studying both Film and Media at my Institution leave with a grade (100% pass rate), extensive experience of presenting, researching, interacting and undertaking self assessment. All useful skills.

Universities change year in and year out (personnel changes etc) though, students have spoken highly of East Anglia (the one in Norwich), Warwick University and also a couple in London (the names escape me)

I hope that this helps!

11. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

I'd love to teach Film at GCSE - I'm so glad to hear that it will be available soon.

12. Excellent feedback - thanks multitasker.

Could you drop me a line by email?

[e] richardgent@mac.com

13. I am about to begin teaching IB Film Studies (Higher Level & Standard level) in August 2007. The course is fantastic, particularly from the perspective of assessment. The marks are allocated as following:
    50% 7 minutes film (& 1 minute trailer)
    25% 15 minute presentation (textual analysis)
    25% Script (based on either film theory or history and covering two different film cultures)
    There are no written examinations! The entire course is a move away from the didactic approach to a participatory model and the staff in our school are excited about teaching this course.

14. Always fancied getting involved with the IB (International Bacc?) Never thought they would get around to subjects like ours.

Let me know how I can help! Kind regards, Richard

15. I teach it in FE, it's a great subject which also gives so many opportunities for students to broaden their horizons and think about viewpoints other than their own. Film students learn history, geography, sociology and psychology through film.

16. How do you resource it?

17. I have sent you an email!
    I teach it I love it :)

18. thanks - got it - replied ;)

19. Theta Sigma

Theta Sigma New commenter

I am starting Film Studies in September at my college (if there are students who want to do it!)Resource wise, the BBC are supplying what would amount to hundreds of pounds of DVDs through this 7 week season on British Film, so I am slaving over a hot DVD recorder right now.

20. hi theta
    if you need anything send me an emai sparkls@deeside.ac.uk

may ask for a copy of the progs as my pvr went poopy on me!

have taught for 2 years and am an examiner and moderator!