1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Film quote game

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by anon4561, Feb 24, 2011.

1. I have heard recently that the Greyfriars Bobby story was invented as a publicity stunt by shopkeepers in that area of the town, who else has heard that theory recently?

2. As far as I'm aware, the story was a Victorian scam. It's well documented that there was a constable called Auld Jock who patrolled that part of the Old Town during the mid-19th century. All constables would have had dogs at the time, and the original Bobby, by all accounts, was something of an ugly mutt. It's also well-documented that there was a Skye Terrier who used to hang around Greyfriars Kirk because the locals would feed him. The story was put about that the dogs were one and the same - partly, I suppose, because it was good for business, and partly, I imagine, because it's a sweet, sentimental story. About eight or nine years after Auld Jock died, there was an outbreak of doggy distemper in Edinburgh, and dog licenses became compulsory - stray dogs were put down. By that time, Bobby was such an attraction that the Town Council claimed ownership of him, and the Lord Provost paid for his license. It seems highly unlikely to me that the dog who lived in the Kirkyard was really Auld Jock's dog mourning his master, and I'd really rather it wasn't, because 14 years is a long time to mourn in dog years. I'd rather think that Greyfriars Bobby was a happy little chap, befriended by all, than a sad waif forever mourning his master.

3. I never knew that! That's fascinating.... though I did rather like the orginal story (not the film, with the awful accents though!)

OK, Sav.... You won! We're waiting! [​IMG]

4. Yay!
    You knew it was dangerous but you let them swim anyway.

5. grammarlady

grammarlady Occasional commenter

Jaws
    "I want you to stop seeing her. And go to confession."

6. Moonstruck
    We do things in this country quietly and with dignity.

7. The Queen.
    I've known the fear of losing but now I am almost too frightened to win.

8. Chariots of Fire
    I'm blinded by such beauty.

9. Is it the Addams Family?

10. Yup! Over to you Sparky...

11. Oh but Sir, I have to say it, and I must understand what I say on the stage.

12. No takers? The 'sir' who is being addressed is Kenneth Williams.

13. Would it be a Carry On film?
    Carry on Teacher?

14. Spot on! Your go.

15. Yay!
    She is the subject of universal conversation.

16. The Duchess.
    "What's he been telling you? He's been reading those trashy science fiction magazines - he's completely out of control."
    "It may interest you to know, Mrs MacLean, that your son is running a high temperature. His heart action is unnaturally fast. It's too soon to tell, but there's every symptom of polio, and I'm having him removed to the isolation ward of the general hospital."

17. A River Runs Through It (?)

How about -

"I'm a man !"

"Well, nobody's perfect"

18. No, sorry Shaz, it's not A River Runs Through It!

19. OK, some clues. This is a sci-fi adventure. It was remade in the 1980s, but the original comes from 1953, hence the reference to polio. The child star of the original played a police inspector in the 80s remake..

20. A wild guess! Is it Invaders From Mars?