1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Film Promotion help?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by backtoback, Mar 15, 2011.

1. backtoback

backtoback New commenter

I'm trying to put a lesson together for my GCSE Year 10 class on film promotion, looking at roles and responsiblities within it, and institutional factors but I have hit a wall and cannot think of what to include. It is for Assignment 2 with AQA.
    If anyone has done this and could help me out, I would be really grateful.. .institutions is my downfall, i just can't think of activities to teach.
    I am willing to trade resources on other topics if need be!

2. There is a really good resource on the promotion of The Mummy. If you google 'marketing the mummy' it should appear. Or try this
    http://academic.sun.ac.za/forlang/bergman/block/mummy/m_index.htm

Mine used it for exam prep and then did their own marketing campaign for their film pitch idea.
    Hope it's helpful.

3. backtoback

backtoback New commenter

many thanks for that, what a great website!

4. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

I've just done quite a good lesson with my Year 11's on the importance for institutions of gaining a 12 / 12A certificate for blockbuster films in order to gain a wider audience.. I gave them the BBFC guidelines for PG, 12 and 15 certificate films and showed them clips from films to try and decide in groups what film certificate it should have received.. it worked quite well, especially when I showed them the more violent scenes from The Dark Knight and they were really suprised that it got a 12A certificate. When Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 comes out on DVD I'm going to supply them with the pages from the book where Hermione gets tortured by Bellatrix Lestrange (quite graphic torture leaving her bloody and beaten etc) and then show them the same scene from the film so they can point out the differences (film scene is very mild, with Hermione only sustaining a scratch to her hand) to show how institutions adapt stories to gain a 12 certificate as if they had a 15 certificate they would lose out on their key audiences..

5. Film Education's annual resource Teaching Trailers 2011 will give you lots of material about film promotion and will be available very soon at www.filmeducation.org.

Have a look at our website for other ideas and resources including The Film Industry Pack. Why not sign up to our database to ensure you recieve our latest updates and materials? www.filmeducation.org/signup.php

Regards

Film Ed team