1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

film narrative year 5

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hi. I'm on my final week of placement now and in Literacy, I'm in the middle of teaching film narrative. I've been doing the Piano by Aidan Gibbons and I'm finding it a bit boring to teach now. We've tackled each of the phases but there are still things I could do. I have three more lessons to plan and teach. (Year 5 class)
    Phase 1- From phase one we have watched and re-watched the film many times and discussed the main features and themes. The children know it well now. We have briefly discovered moods and pace and the children have been taught about sound and camera angles.
    Phase 2- The children have done a few role play based activities because they found it hard initially to put themselves in the shoes of the characters. They have done this for the piano player and his wife (if his wife could come back for a short period of time, what he would say to her) and also for the soldiers. The children were acting it out because at first, they could not really tell me how the soldiers would be feeling etc.
    Phase 3- The children have produced two storyboards of their own (one for the dialogue between the woman and diano player and one for the dialogue between the two soldiers).
    I am not sure how to fill the next three lessons. I want something which is quick to plan and prepare because I have my teaching file to finish for Friday, which is nearly there. I tend to spend too long planning and need to get quicker at it. Can anyone suggest where to go with this next please? There are things that we have not covered. I was going to do hotseating with them but it's quite an unimaginative and unresponsive class (the class teacher has said this too). It is hard to make many of them get in role and be able to tell me how the characters are feeling. I've really had to pull it out of them and it's taken a while for them to be able to do this.
    What would you cover in each of the three days please and what should my objectives me? I would ask the class teacher but they are not in school this week. Thank you. I have included the phase descriptions from the national strategies website below.

<h3>Phase 1</h3>Watch and re-watch the film The Piano by Aidan Gibbons (The Piano video). Use key points in the film to discuss features and themes. Explore approaches made by the film maker to create moods, pace and viewpoint. Develop children's film metalanguage by identifying how colour, light, sound and camera angles have been used to tell the narrative. Use a reading journal to record opinions of the narrative.
    <h3>Phase 2</h3>Children work as part of a group to use drama strategies to explore characters in depth. Devise questions to ask the main characters and work in role to explore more complex emotional issues. Demonstrate growing understanding of characters by writing a short conversation at a key point in the film using the conventions of speech punctuation. Use a reading journal to record inferences and demonstrate understanding of characters by writing in the first person.
    <h3>Phase 3</h3>Develop a story board for the narrative by capturing and importing key images into a presentation program. Children write their own version of The Piano, organising writing into paragraphs, and create a multimodal presentation of this version including images, voice-over, soundtrack and written text.

2. Hi. I'm on my final week of placement now and in Literacy, I'm in the middle of teaching film narrative. I've been doing the Piano by Aidan Gibbons and I'm finding it a bit boring to teach now. We've tackled each of the phases but there are still things I could do. I have three more lessons to plan and teach. (Year 5 class)
    Phase 1- From phase one we have watched and re-watched the film many times and discussed the main features and themes. The children know it well now. We have briefly discovered moods and pace and the children have been taught about sound and camera angles.
    Phase 2- The children have done a few role play based activities because they found it hard initially to put themselves in the shoes of the characters. They have done this for the piano player and his wife (if his wife could come back for a short period of time, what he would say to her) and also for the soldiers. The children were acting it out because at first, they could not really tell me how the soldiers would be feeling etc.
    Phase 3- The children have produced two storyboards of their own (one for the dialogue between the woman and diano player and one for the dialogue between the two soldiers).
    I am not sure how to fill the next three lessons. I want something which is quick to plan and prepare because I have my teaching file to finish for Friday, which is nearly there. I tend to spend too long planning and need to get quicker at it. Can anyone suggest where to go with this next please? There are things that we have not covered. I was going to do hotseating with them but it's quite an unimaginative and unresponsive class (the class teacher has said this too). It is hard to make many of them get in role and be able to tell me how the characters are feeling. I've really had to pull it out of them and it's taken a while for them to be able to do this.
    What would you cover in each of the three days please and what should my objectives me? I would ask the class teacher but they are not in school this week. Thank you. I have included the phase descriptions from the national strategies website below.

<h3>Phase 1</h3>Watch and re-watch the film The Piano by Aidan Gibbons (The Piano video). Use key points in the film to discuss features and themes. Explore approaches made by the film maker to create moods, pace and viewpoint. Develop children's film metalanguage by identifying how colour, light, sound and camera angles have been used to tell the narrative. Use a reading journal to record opinions of the narrative.
    <h3>Phase 2</h3>Children work as part of a group to use drama strategies to explore characters in depth. Devise questions to ask the main characters and work in role to explore more complex emotional issues. Demonstrate growing understanding of characters by writing a short conversation at a key point in the film using the conventions of speech punctuation. Use a reading journal to record inferences and demonstrate understanding of characters by writing in the first person.
    <h3>Phase 3</h3>Develop a story board for the narrative by capturing and importing key images into a presentation program. Children write their own version of The Piano, organising writing into paragraphs, and create a multimodal presentation of this version including images, voice-over, soundtrack and written text.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Have you done any multimodal work with them? You don't have very long, but might consider doing a little. Someone recently asked on a thread about multimodal work and I found some interesting resources:
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/493599/6778428.aspx#6778428
    I haven't used these resources, but if you read the 'how to' guides I pointed to in the thread it would help you decide if this was something you could do - (or not!)
    Perhaps take a tiny part of their stories and have a go?

4. This is really going to make me sound stupid but what do you mean by multimodal work in this context please? I'm not even sure what it is, but perhaps it's so obvious I shouldn't admit to it!

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

This was in the bit you pasted:
    create a multimodal presentation of this version including images, voice-over, soundtrack and written text.
    You could use powerpoint and add sounds to pictures using imported sounds or ones that are in the clipart audio. Use the effects available in PPT, use pictures, use links to move to other pages in the presentation, use drawings imported from other programs, clipart etc.
    However, if you've not done this before <u>don't do it in your last three lessons</u>! Choose something that you are confident with! You could read up about it though for future reference.